[Wiki] - micro CL (clover-leaf) antennas

what did you dip it in? liquid electrical tape?

2 coats of plastidip. At this early stage I can’t vouch for how protective it is, but certainly have a good feeling about it…

The video feed in impeccable too.

So i was thinking more about making my own CL as i wait on stuff to arrive to build them. decided to plot all the frequencies across the 5 bands:

as you can see the average is 5796.9mHz or 5797mHz rounded. pretty close to 5800mHz, which is what i thought i would build the antennas at… but then again, i typically fly on my own so technically i could build at 5740mHz instead since i always fly on channel 1. i wonder if this would improve performance of the antenna over building it at the average or just at 5800mHz?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eV3cxzyOQtd_S8JfHYMowOCDyCwgJJu2i9pqNW_AjWI/edit?usp=sharing

I asked myself the same question.

In theory it will improve performance, but in practice we’re talking about the difference of less than a mm per lobe.

I went with the average for convenience…

Is it that minimal? Guess I should have looked up the measurements for the end points.

Between the frequencies you mentioned ye.

5797mHz = 52.96222183888218mm
5740mhz = 53.48815331010453mm

wow, ~0.5mm difference. also shows how easy it will be making these to be “off” on the cutting of the antenna.

Yes, I thought that. Im getting a rock solid video feed through 2 internal walls atm. I’m dying to take my bird outside now to check range/penetration. I’m guessing i’ll hit the radio limit first!

did you make a jig for the antenna pattern? or just eyeball it while soldering them all together?

Eyeballing at the moment. I’d love to make a jig though. What are your plans?

@Benedikt would you please make this wiki editable? Something is strange in this thread, after i scroll down automatic moves back to beginning of this thread.

Hmm… I can scroll just fine.

I just made it a wiki as it should have been.
Have at it :wink:

Does this mean that my cloverleaf camera will have bad reception with my linear antenna googles?

My camera is the Eachine tx02 200 mW camera and my googles are the Eachine EV800.

Oops didn’t realize this post was 10 months old… is this sub forum dead?

Well, we stopped talking here a while ago.
Doesnt mean we cant continue :wink:
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, you will get 3dB of unnecessary signal dampening when receiving a circular signal with a linear antenna. Which doenst mean “bad” by definition. Just less than with two matching antennas. Also, you give away the multipath-rejecting properties of circular polarisation, which can further degrade the image.
Might be perfectly fine though, depending on your environment.
If you dont get satisfying reception, I would certainly recommend trying a different antenna combination.

What are the normal max dB of these antennas? Is 3 dB a lot?

Would theses antennas be a good replacement for my googles? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D8J828Q/ref=asc_df_B01D8J828Q5110535/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B01D8J828Q&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167141218295&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8923412089307264434&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007792&hvtargid=pla-310031464988

Thanks!