View FPV camera with phone

I am building my first micro drone with the help and advice of many members here. Thanks for sharing your knowledge so freely.
I just purchased a CM275T 5.8G 25mW 48CH NTSC/PAL Mini VTX 600TVL FPV Camera. I do not have goggles yet. When the camera arrives I would like to test it. I have two questions:

1. Is there an app or way to view the camera image on an android or apple device (I have both).
  2. To test the camera can I just power it up using a 3.7 v battery and adaptor?

Thanks
jj

I think this is what you’re asking about, but I don’t quite have the resources to try these; these are the Android options, don’t know about iOS or other:

http://www.banggood.com/search/fpv-otg.html

Burtlo
Thanks for the lead. This looks like they would work.
jj

Exactly what I was looking for. Just bought it.

jj

Please do share your experiences!

I purchased and tested this set with an LG V10 and an LG Gpad. The Gpad did not sync with the mini USB you get with the receiver. It did work with a mini USB (receiver) to USB (Gpad). The V10 testing was outdoors with the goggles.

http://tiny.cc/xpzlky

Here is the video recording into the Gpad. LOS since I’m a beginner.

I have that OTG: there is latency, c.a. 180ms but, the wrost thing is the low framerate and jitter. Images often freeze raising the latency. You will crash every 10 seconds indoor.

Better, much better, to start with FPV googles, ever the cheapest one is far better than OTG setup.

Will do. Will be a while. Am in the process of compiling parts and building.
jj

That’s all we can ask, thanks for being willing.

My USV 5.8G reciever from banggod finally arrive . It connects to cell phone or tablet, and provides video from camera to device. I also downloaded an FPV app for my phone.

Finally I connected a battery to the camera and voila I am able to check camera before soldering.

I encountered 2 problems. One - make sure the USB cable is connected with arrows pointing from the phone. This seems backwards, but it is what it is. Secondly the first time you run the app there is a scanning button on the USV device (NOT OBVIOUS). The button needs to be depressed while the app scans for frequencies.

Thanks for all your help. I will use this device to allow others to monitor my flights.
jj

Cool, @jjonz44
Thanks for the info, got a link for this?

EDIT: found it a few posts up

Be careful unplugging. The soldering of the mini USB mount on the OTD board was minimally soldered and broke. Fixed easily by careful soldering (USB grounds). I ran some FPV flights this weekend. Nothing to compare it to that’s better but, copter flew out of range of camera receiver on the side opposite of where I had the OTD mounted on goggles at a much shorter distance than the other. I tested by LOS first and reviewed the recordings. I knew what to expect.

The antenna in the factory spec qcopt is hidden in the hull between the battery and boards, so it could be a factor. I landed it at my feet one time using the Goggles. At the end of the session, I was landing back at launch area within a meter. It’s useable but I hate the guessing game with the snowy screen blanking and range. Fun recordings though.

i know a good app on android called “Go FPV” which also has a dual screen feature for headsets

Sorry for the necro post, but how is the power consumption on those OTG receivers? I’ve got an EasyCap connected to an OTG cable, and it will drain my 3300mah cell phone battery in a few minutes. I ended up modifying the OTG cable to power the EasyCap from a USB battery pack. Also, would the latency be the same with this setup? I haven’t tried flying with it yet, it’s just stuff I already had so it had to be put together :smile:

Ozzie
I am still flying LOS while waiting for my new goggles from Banggood. However, I do hook up the OTG to my phone (Galaxy edge) so friends can watch the flight. I really have not tried to fly using the OTG as FPV. The latency does not seem to be a real problem. When I glance at it, it seems to be pretty much real time. I can’t measure it. As far as battery drain, that is not a problem at all. I have not experienced and big draw on my phone. The OTG does seem to get a little warm, but does not seem to drain put an excessive drain on the battery. Hope this helps.
jj

are u sure its not always looking for a signal and is locked in on one. I imagine always looking for a signal would drain your battery a lot.

The receiver runs off it’s own 3S battery, the battery drain was just the USB video converter. That’s why I figured these OTG converters would have high power consumption.

I have used the OTG to Easycap method to record my DVR footage for my first year. It did drain battery fairly quick, equal to watching an HD movie on the phone. But not in minutes, with a fully charged phone I’ve always been able to record my full sessions (around 8 packs).

The Easycap viewer app supports stereoscopic view (for a few dollars extra) for use with a VR headset, I have tried flying with it once but the latency was noticeable. What I did love was the DVR quality. It’s better quality than fatshark built in DVR, it’s 60 FPS and you get the audio of your phone in the recording so you can hear the motors.

But I got tired of fiddling with the wires, freezing of the app because a cable got loose, notifications popping up on my phone right when I did something epic (lol darn!!) so I’m using the Fatshark goggles DVR now for the convenience. But quality wise, the Easycap setup was better.

I flew 6 packs on a phone charged 80%. Then the low battery screen came on. Glad I was flying on a big soccer field. Landed it nearby after adapting. It’s the only time I had trouble. I could still see on the sides of the alert window. Was also recording each time. It eats power.

I’m getting fed up with the USB connector soldered to the board on this receiver. It’s the second time I’ve had to Reflow the solder on this component. It fixes it but it is not too cool when you touch the wire going into the USB and it goes black screen. Glad it hasn’t happened in flight. Shopping for goggles now. This unit is fun to record with though.