Silverwhoop Micro Plane

Just thought I’d stop in, say hello to everyone here, and share a recent brushed silverware success story.

I have two young boys ages 5 and 3 and recently have been building little hand toss gliders for them from carbon fiber sticks and foam board. Well we decided to rc them and the experience has been fantastic. They are so easy to fly that my 5 year old has enjoyed countless flights, keeping himself in the air without assistance for as long as 10 minutes at a time. It’s really great to have something he can feel successful at without frustration or stressful oversight, especially at such a young age.

Build details:

• brushed silverware fc flashed with whooverware for differential thrust/gyro stabalized yaw only (yaw rate at 300)
  • two 6mm motors with h8 props
  • 260mah battery
  • all up weight with lipo is 28g
  • 22 inch wingspan - single sheet thickness foam poster board with paper removed and airfoil shape bent in
  • carbon fiber stick is 16in long
  • assembly with hot melt glue
  • in the transmitter I map the throttle to the elevator stick(reversed) and yaw to the roll stick.

The flying experience is just fantastic and feels very much like a normal rc plane but so much slower. The plane climbs under full throttle, and descends at zero throttle - but with throttle mapped to the pitch stick and reversed… pulling up does just what it’s supposed to (raises throttle and makes the plane climb). The trick is to adjust pitch trim in the tx down(lower throttle) and physically bending the elevator up …so that it cruises nice and level at neutral pitch stick. The yaw stabilization works great and at times I have armed and tossed it in the air, then turned around to walk off and find a chair, carry it back … and then put eyes back on the plane. Sure enough it’s still just putting along. Lol

I have been able to catch thermals with these little guys and with throttle at 0 (i set a glide switch that puts throttle at 0)… have climbed so high I thought I wasnt going to get it back ever and could barely see it. Quite enjoyable really, but the real win is is seeing my sons have such a great time with them and sitting down for flying sessions together with all the planes in the air at once.

If you have kids and want to get them flying something really easy… I highly recommend this. Also after getting a successful build under your belt, guide your kid through building one with a little instruction. Also after a week of flying now we have not had to make any repairs from crashes. Total win

8 Likes

I started working on a similar idea.
Using all 4 motors
2 in the wings for lift
2 normal on wings for thrust.
Ill add pics when home.

3 Likes

I dont think you will need 4 motors. I’m getting 15min flight times using only 2 and it’s quite agile.

2 Likes

Daaamn 15 minutes I’m game,

1 Like

One thing I am particularly enjoying about this is learning the behavior of thermals. I want to get into dlg sailplanes, and the experience here watching this little plane respond to thermals seems really valuable. It is very exaggerated in this little thing at such a light flying weight and quite obvious when you fly into one or leave one into the surrounding sinking air. Having the props to put about gives me the freedom to fly into and out of one as much as I like for practice as I try to learn the visual queues which will be much more subtle on an actual sailplane. Also thermals move with the wind (obviously) but I was surprised to see that the in fact seem to move slower than the prevailing wind speed. If you can find one and circle in it… you can climb a few hundred feet up in a matter of 30 seconds with this little plane. Fun stuff

2 Likes

Need to make step-by-step build tutorial with images and all… And some video of flying… Would be excellent!

3 Likes

I will try to find the time to do that… it really is worth it. I’ve seen many attempts on youtube with similar approaches but none with the magic of silverware. It really makes a big difference. Whooverware was the perfect fit too since I had already set it up for differential thrust throttle linked, and yaw only stabilization on the pusher motors of a whoover. It was literally flash and fly, lowering only yaw rate .

4 Likes

@NotFastEnuf, thanks for sharing! This is fantastic. I think my daughter and son will both really like this.

We have some posterboard from some previous projects I’ve been holding on to. Based on your pics and description it sounds like they would work for this. Am pretty excited.

2 Likes

Im down for it too ! Want my son to try it and ( ME ahhaha ofc ) .

2 Likes

It’s a little bit funny seeing that “NotFastEnuf” is now looking at possibly the slowest side of RC. I had RC gliders many years ago, and also a few of these two motor set-ups (currently have one sitting in a box, I ordered it before I got into flying quads) unfortunately there is just nowhere to fly planes in Tokyo, i still love them though. Can’t wait to get my kids into this stuff too (few years off)

4 Likes

I’ve many times in the past to get the Servo code Silverxxx designed working for the newer boards but not had much success. I’ve always thought with the integrated RX would be cheap introduction into planes. I gave up after redesigning the Boss into a Tricopter/servo frame. It also got me thinking about RC cars, having the signal drive a brushless motor or maybe build a h-bridge so you could reverse the motor or even enable the gyro for drifting action!

1 Like

@NotFastEnuf, I just realized something after looking at your plane pics a bit more closely and then re-reading your “Build details”. It looks like you only need 2 motors! Maybe I could salvage a couple of “Play F4” flight controllers that I’ve broken. One has a burnt ESC so only 3 motors work. The other has a busted OSD chip due to harsh crash.

If so, I’ll need to review the Whooverware source code and see if I can port that functionality to work on these Play F4 flight controllers.

There is a whoover for of betaflight somewhere. That would do the trick.

I have not failsafed with it yet and I’ve taken it pretty far out on an e011. My son is flying a zero on his with dsm. I dont think it gets any more range but I will admit I get nervous taking either one high up.

I think bayang would be fine for park flying. Maybe servo code is worth another look

But to be honest, this little creation is close to perfect as is without complicating it more. My son and I have been flying every day together. I have all sorts of advanced planes to choose from, but still enjoy flying this simple thing just as much as anything else.

We’ve been doing races, altitude challenges, combat, follow the leader, and have even flown in wind so hard the plane just goes backwards instead of forward but surprisingly stays in control. It’s just flat out fun and easy to fly.

6 Likes

can I FPV it? :open_mouth:

Absolutely!

2 Likes