Show us your builds!

Such a clean build. Cleanest Boss build I’ve seen. Great idea with the holes on the canopy

53g dry with 1103 5000kv motors and 3" props, foxeer predator nano 4 camera and onboard DVR… flies on 3s and 4s… She’s lovely to fly

5 Likes

She needs a name bro

Wow!
What board is there?

:grinning: She’s called the Skele7on Ghost…

1 Like

It has a Diatone 16x16 stack hung in there. I’ll post the build to rotorbuilds when I have a moment.

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of simple 1S micros and whoops considering the spaces I fly in. However a few months ago I found some really cheap ($20 for a set on Amazon) 0802 12000KV BetaFPV motors. So I built a 2S 75mm whoop with them and it was super fun! But my backyard isn’t big enough to really enjoy the speed that was possible. Plus using 2 batteries at a time for only 3.5 mins of flight didn’t sit too well with me. So that whoop was shelved for a while.

Yesterday I finally got around to trying out a new micro frame (that I remixed from Thingiverse). It is very light and super easy to print, but definitely a bit fragile. Nonetheless I figured it might be a good match for using the 12000KV motors, but this time on 1S.

Sure enough, it was a hoot! Super fun, and still only about 25% to 30% throttle to hover. Some previous “toothpick” micros I built using 19000KV motors were a bit too floaty and you really didn’t want to lay into the throttle with them.

As you can see, the frame was light but didn’t hold up too well on the first real crash. So I ended up scaling the print along the Z axis by 150% to make it thicker and see how things go. Although it is a full gram or so heavier it is still loads of fun. I easily get 5 minutes of spirited flying with a 300mah GNB. Ah, heck, I can even use my 260mah BWhoop batteries and get 3+ minutes (and I have loads of those around).

The frame is in PLA (annealed for 30 minutes for added strength). The camera mount doubles as a flight controller mount in TPU. Props are 65mm KingKong. Flight controller is a $19 “Play F4” running a custom version of Silverware and I’m using a micro NRF24L01 module for the transceiver (RX with telemetry). Camera is a cheap $12 Eachine TX06.

Its a lot of fun and I’m hoping the frame holds up (enough). It’s cheap and easy to print so I don’t mind if it breaks every now and then. Only downside is that you really have to fly this in calm weather to really enjoy how smooth it can be, otherwise it gets jostled around by wind pretty easily.

5 Likes

Oh man that is cool and what a bargain. Any details on how you are using the NRF2401 in there? I would like to use it on the Alien Zero but having trouble finding info on the pinouts compared to the XN297L

Hey @Tokyo_Dom! I wrote up a little bit of documentation here: https://sakitume.github.io/SilverLite-FC/PlayF4_NRF24L01/

That page is very specific to the Play F4 flight controller, the micro NRF24L01 module I’m using, and the custom Silverware firmware I’m running.

With the NRF24L01 you will use 4-wire SPI rather than 3-Wire SPI (that some XN297(L) modules use). One other notable thing is that you will tie the CE pin of the module to VCC. No need to control that line unless your FC firmware really needs to. I can go into more detail about that but maybe over PM so as not to clutter this thread and be able to give you even more detail should you desire. Or I could just add more detail to that documentation site I shared.

Also, earlier in this thread (around March) I shared some pics of the NRF24L01 micro.

And also, check out Markus’ blog on RCGroups where he describes his SilF4ware fork. There are several posts in that thread that go into some really good detail regarding the NRF24L01 modules available and some mods that are worthwhile (such as antenna).

I’ll respond by pm, will keep to the topic of this thread with the build I am currently trying to complete. Hoping to keep it under 20g AUW. Just needs a canopy/camera, and there are a couple of things I could do to lighten it still.

3 Likes

Not really a build, and not sure it can still be considered a micro, but thought I’d share a pic of the Fire & Rescue theme I did on my old Rodeo 150.

4 Likes

Loooove it

1 Like

what a beautiful machine, very futuristic. It would fit nicely in Ghost in the Shell universe ))

2 Likes

The finished alien whoop build, with a trimmed and dipoled AKK-SG2. Kept it under 20g.

Ive been trying to get an NRF24L01 receiver working in this, might bring the weight down a bit (suppose cutting that antenna down would help too. But she’s nice and peppy as it is.

5 Likes

That is an awesome build @Tokyo_Dom Under 20g!

That’s 3.5 grams lighter than my BWhoop B03 whoop. What size motors are on that build?

I like the antenna mod you did. I just tack on some enamel wire but wish I had some lightweight coax to do the same kind of mod you seem to have done.

1 Like

Ah but this is 615s. I think 716 builds under 24g are impressive. I reckon I’d save another half gram if I get this NRF24L01 receiver working. That’s 0.7g with all the wires. Oh and I’ve further trimmed the akk-s2 antenna portion, that little protruding bit really irked me

3 Likes

She’s all shiny and new replaced stock rubber grommets with Zuru bunch a balloon grommets.

we’ll see how well they work.

4 Likes

This is one of my latest projects, a custom frame made of carbon fiber rods and 3d printed parts. In all my “test” crashes, the carbon held up every time, and every time something broke, it was the printed parts. 16x16 stack, nano cam, micro axii, 9mm motors, and ample room for accessories and other components. Not a “toothpick” by any means (frame comes in at 25g with all hardware and canopy). Total cost of parts for me came in at $1 USD. The abs parts are the only part that breaks for me, and when it does, I just soak that section of the frame in acetone and it dissolves right off along with the superglue, allowing for another piece to be fitted on without disassembling the build. Flys great, arm torsions are minimal, and can be made for any prop size (This is 135mm running 3" props). I did a full write up on rotorbuilds. I gave it the name slim jim, on account of the rods looking like slim jims and also its faint resemblance to a slimjim antenna.

6 Likes

Very nice. I tried a very similar chopsticks build but for a really tiny LOS quad. Amazingly cheap if you have a 3D printer

2 Likes

So all this prototyping led me to this (and still some dimensions are wrong :unamused:) Took a bit of inspiration from the the Pocket Quads Lightspeed frame from a few years ago and also a few cues from the Boss series. My first attempt using Fusion 360 to design something from scratch and I learnt so much, I can take these basic things into future designs.

6 Likes