Project Mockingbird: Getting your BF Whoop FC to Fly better than the Inductrix Angle Mode

Oh, man…I want to try this so bad! But, I gotta wait!

Thanks for the description @Benedikt, it sounds amazing!

Beautiful description @Benedikt. There is another “hidden” flavor of RACEMODE you can try cooked into that flash.

If you type set racemode_horizon=on into the CLI, it will replace the roll angle limit with horizon type behavior and let you flip on roll axis. I put alot of work into rewriting the behaviour algorithm for this mode as I always felt the “feel” of stock horizon never matched all. Keep us posted if you try that out also.

Posted a link to your project on my site and on reddit, so we get some more bums on pilot seats :wink:

Wow chief scientist approved - that’s so cool!!! (Although you did spell my screen name wrong. Lol - but that’s no big deal. Hehe) I’m so excited to have contributed something you feel is noteworthy!!!

Also just to clarify @Benedikt - credit for project mockingbird goes to @PJC and I believe he credits Scott Allen for its most early origins. He will be reviewing racemode as a submission to be included in mockingbird after he returns from the tiny whoop invitational so I am nothing more than a contributor to mockingbird. Wether racemode os included or not, he and I will be working together on the ProjectMockingbird github site as well to preconfigure betatlight targets with all his favorite settings and best tunes so that you can simply flash mockingbird instead of having to set it up yourself. Instant mockingbird in a can coming soon!!!

Sorry, I fixed the intro! Should pay more attention :wink:
Not sure how to re-fetch the preview-data on this forum, but on the site it now reads like this, please check:

Travis “NotFastEnuf”, the maker of the BOSS frames and contributor to Project Mockingbird, brings us another exciting piece of flight experience: race mode!

P.S. I really should pay more attention to credit the right people… Sorry @PJC, enjoy the party!
But as long as you and @pedro147 and the rest of the gang keeps me straight, Im stepping on toes with confidence :stuck_out_tongue:

btw… I never really enjoyed the way the Inductrix FPV flies, so I was not very interested in Mockingbird.
But I guess now I owe you guys to check it out :wink:

Hehe!!! Well I’ve never actually flown an indixtrix myself so I’ll just be handling the code … stay tuned here to find out when mockingbird github will be ready. While we’re on the subject … we could certainly help you do the same sort of thing with a MicroMotorWarehouse fork of betaflight on github. Have preconfigured binaries to flash for the flight controllers that you offer in your store all tuned up right out of the box with your favorite pids and settings. Let me know if that interests you or if you’d like assistance putting that together. Personally I whoop silverware and I have my own personal silverware fork on my github as well all preconfigured and ready to rip. I mention that as a hint that you may want to explore the opportunity to stock BETA FPV’s “lite” flight controller running silverware. It’s an animal with racemode too. (After flashing of course).

Thanks again for participating!!! So cool to see you active and having fun with us man!!!

Once a little more testing is done - I think it would be good to break-out racemode into a separate flight mode and go for a PR for BF, I think I can help you with that if required.

But the name “racemode” could be a little misleading as an official mode which is practically more dedicated for micro quads.

Maybe we should rather call the modes per axis, instead of being creative :wink:
I have put a bunch more packs through this mode, and even though I still enjoy flying it a lot,
I noticed that crash recovery is almost as hard as on acro.

I assume as for most of you, crashing is just part of my flying style. I crash around 5-10 times per pack, but on average only every 10th crash end in a hike, because angle mode saves me.
In rate mode, when I get knocked off track from an evil branch, Im hitting the next thing or the ground before I can even react, and when I finally react, I often do the wrong thing and by then its game over.

So… has anyone of you guys played with the crash detection of BF?

That is the next thing to look into really … I need to look at that code and see how it will “play” with racemode. I can see where it would benefit us for it to pop back into angle for crash recovery. I will examine and report. I honestly didn’t even look into compatibility with that when I created this… but that would make a nice final piece to the puzzle if we can get that to work. Maybe we get lucky and it already does! Stay tuned :smile:

I just looked at the code, I don’t see any reason why crash recovery would be incompatible with racemode. I’ll give it a shot and let you guys know how it goes!

NotFastEnuf I installed the Racemode hex on a BetaFPV OSD Frysky RX not Evo. I think same FC that Benedikt did. I left everything default. Set arm switch on aux1 and enabled angle and horizon on aux 2. Taranis sticks worked fine in Betaflight. Only change I made was motor direction as my front motors spin away from frame and the rear spin inward. As soon as Taranis binds…quad spins up to full speed. Without arming and stick inputs have no effect on any channel. Anyone have any ideas? And thank you in advance.

What target did you flash @kasmir?

RACEMODE_betaflight_3.2.4_BETAFLIGHTF3.hex

not sure spinned to full speed…I grabbed it but as I tilted it…it didn’t vary speed in any motors like trying to correct flight

That certainly is strange. Is there any way you could pop your motors in normally and re flash it again? I’m not sure how you can reverse only two of your motors. Also, keep an eye out for standard settings like changing it to brushed pwm and such. The only thing I messed with in code was horizon mode. All of the rest of the code is untouched. Also, you don’t need to put angle and horizon on a switch together at the same time. Just horizon. But that’s not the issue. I’m guessing you are not on a brushed motor setting. It has to be either something like that or the wrong target. I would think disarmed should be motors off no matter what with the right motor protocol.

Stupid rookie here. I was in such a hurry here that I checked that it was sbus but forgot to check BRUSHED. Sorry I took your time. One last question…I had mockingbird setup on this quad before. Should I do mockingbird again or just leave it stock with your Betaflight build. Thanks a milllion

No problem at all man. And not a rookie mistake … I still do stuff like that all the time. How do you think I guess right on the first try. Lol. Anyway, do set up mockingbird again for sure. I did not put ANY good defaults in for whooping or anything else. Just gutted the code for Horizon mode and shoved in racemode. Have fun!

Just remember horizon settings are all racemode now… so if mockingbird suggest changing anything on horizon … skip that part. Pay attention to the readme on my github page to understand how to adjust racemode if you choose to tweak it.

Attention all micro motor pilots:

If you haven’t tried racemode indoors yet, you are without a doubt missing out!!!

I can’t even begin to describe how I am feeling right now lol

From the start of flying quads I knew I had to ditch angle mode fairly quickly because it felt so robotic, accelerometer drift, and felt like it was getting in the way of the type of flying I wanted to do. I take much pride in my ability to fly acro and always have, and used to think angle mode was just for “noobies”.

After trying out NFE’s new mode, “racemode” my opinion on accelerometers and angle limitations have changed completely!!!

I usually crash about 5 times per battery when I fly acro indoors and in tight spots (8.5mm motors indoors is kind of much, but it was all I had ever known at one point lol) Tonight I flashed a betaflight firmware with racemode on it, and didn’t crash ONCE… didn’t even strike a prop on a wall, NOTHING.

The first battery pack was very odd feeling, took a moment to get used to, but I eventually loosened up and started to “feel it”… It feels very natural and connected, like acro mode, but with a totally stress free, almost “hands off” approach to flying acro inside. I was navigating tight spots I know I would have crashed in without Racemode…

So I must say, Props off to you @NotFastEnuf for creating this incredible flight mode. I am going to go there and say Racemode IS a game changer for this hobby. I LOVE it for flying indoors, and will be experimenting with it MUCH more in the future.