Open source Alienflight FC

I am on it. Very Very thankful !!! Just got the board sides set up for g code last night will post some pics later today. Have a pro screen printer to. Wish me luck and they will be available again.

1 Like

Good lord! Yeah thats crazy. Good start for me to look around though, thank you!

I just went on mouser for the first time last night simply looking for molex 2pin/walkera connectors with leads… after 5 minutes my head was spinning.

:open_mouth:

GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK!

@Complacent1, Better to find those on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-Micro-Walkera-2-Pin-Connector-plug-Male-Female-Crimps-x-50-Sets-/171361716288?hash=item27e5f44840:g:4t4AAOxymHRRx6X1

You can spend days looking on the large sites for the connectors and sometimes ebay is simpler.

Looks like I am getting similar quotes on this pcb assembly at other sites to that one I posted the screenshot of. For about 30$ one should be able to get the pcb and the parts to make one although they will only produce a minimum of 3 at OSHpark. Seems kind of off that they would want that much to assemble to PCB.

@CGROSBECK, are you saying you have the fabrication equipment to make the PCB’s? If you click on the links provided at alienflight.com all the info is there and the OSHpark link will take you directly to a page where you can order the PCB 3 for 6$ + a little change. 12 for $24.95.

Yup, that is where I ended up. I was trying to find something in the US but not having much luck. Was going to order from Micronwings (AUS) like I had in the past, but it looks like they don’t have any.

These guys are in the US and stock micro-T connectors: http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=96

Thanks @littlrussian! Looks like Im gonna stick with ebay and the longer shipping times though. As I figured the USA prices are much higher.

I think I’m gonna go with this one on Ebay. Good price. Male and female connectors. Already wired up.

This is indeed great news for our community and I also would like to thank the :alien:Wii creator for his extremely generous act in releasing these files to us. Prior to this release I have been working on developing my own board file for the last commercial version of the Narrow Classic, based on the schematic that was released some 3-4 weeks ago on alienwii.com Even though this release now makes this work unnecessary, I will be continuing through with my project and when I have my first board successfully made, assembled and tested I will post the files here in case anyone would like to make the 3.3 volt original Narrow Classic with the angled motor connectors in the corners, also with some appropriate silkscreen artwork to honour the original designer, AlienQuads. Here is a 3D render of that board in case anyone is interested. This has been a fun learning project for me as there is so much to learn about using Eagle and PCB design and manufacture, hey Adam :slight_smile:
I should also add that without Adam’s help with identifying the components and general encouragement, I wouldn’t have got as far as I have already.

IMPORTANT NOTE - I would just like to add that I will not be calling any boards that I make anything that references the AlienWii name. I have no right to use this name and posting this image with the Alienwii_CC silkscreen graphic on it was an unfortunate oversight on my behalf. Consequently I have removed the image with that graphic on it and sincerely apologise to the AlienWii creator There was no malice intended :smile:

1 Like

Well done, @pedro147 !! I love the direction the thread is going. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks Complacent1 :grin:

3D render of the just released F3-Hexa FC - Runs Cleanflight

On Facebook AW FC Fan Club @Benedikt asked me “What is the 7th FET doing?” After looking at all three new AlienFlight files I found this out which may be of interest.

“It connects to the new 5v buck boost voltage regulator. New as in now 5v whereas the Narrow Classic and Narrow Classic 5v have the 3.3v regulator. So to me it looks as though the reg has 3.3v out for the Atmega and also battery voltage out for the motors and this is being switched by that Q7 FET.”

Just been looking at the three files, and this may interest those of you with an inquiring mind. The Narrow 5v with four motors has four 6.3A FET’s. Why does the Hexa, with 6 motors have six 6.3A motor FET’s, whereas the Octo with eight motors only has four 4.2A FET’s. The Narrow 5v has no FET for the buck boost voltage regulator but both the Hexa and Octo have a FET for that buck boost voltage regulator ? It must be :alien:Wii Voodoo :grinning:

I have only reproduced this here because some of you with a better understanding of electronics may be able to shed some light on this unusual situation. Well I find it unusual anyway :smile:

And just because I love the 3D render tool, here is the F3-Octo FC

I have been told that the additional FET in all these three circuits is for reverse current protection and I quote “We’re using the MOSFET as a polarity protection circuit. Gate is attached to GND, Source to VCC-REG, and Drain to VCC. VCC is connected to the bottom layer (on it’s VCC Plane). GND is connected to the top layer (GND Plane) using a via. And VCC-REG out to the regulator.” Translated this means that the FET has three pins - the FET gate pin is connected to Ground, which in this board is a layer of all the copper not used for traces on the top layer, forming a common connection point for all Ground signals used in the circuit (GND Plane)
Likewise the FET drain pin is connected to all the copper of the bottom layer not used as traces and this provides a common connection point for all VCC signals used in the circuit (VCC or Power Plane) Lastly the Source FET pin goes via VCC-REG trace to the buck boost voltage regulator. The via is an internally plated hole in the PCB that passes a trace from one side of the board to the other. So this will protect the Atmega32u4 micro controller from damage in the event of a battery being connected incorrectly., hence the term reverse polarity protection. This makes my chart three posts back in this thread incorrect in that the Narrow 5v does have the IRLML6402 FET in circuit for this protection. I was finding this hard to see because that FET, an inductor L2 and two capacitors are situated on the bottom of the board so it has components top and bottom. I will upload an amended chart below to supersede the wrong one inserted above for the sake of clarity :smile: As to the different ratings and numbers of FET’s in each of the three circuits, I have still to discover the reasons for this, but I will find out eventually :slight_smile:

Amended FETs on new AlienFlight boards image - corrected

Below - Image of the Classic Narrow 5v from the bottom

2 Likes

G CODE ready file. I use SolidWorks and CAMworks for the company I work for so its what I am confident in. also nesting in CAMworks Nesting.

Hopefully I get time to start test cutting this weekend!!!

1 Like

Looks good @CGROSBECK I would love to see a bit of video of your CAD machine cutting the board if there was any chance :smile: How are you intending to populate the board, method etc and what level of experience do you have with SMD circuit manufacture if I may ask

This thread just gets more and more interesting!

amazing what happens when the plans are released and people who want them find a way to source it all fairly quickly.

so curiously about QC… last batch went away because of bad FETs, anyway to test prior to populating the boards?

I believe there are good hopes to review the large alien wii, are very curious, and 'I’m passionate follow this trend
congratulations Pedro147 :wink:

A less space consuming version, let’s say 24mm x 24mm would be something!

To pedro147 yes I can shoot a video of the cnc. As for surface mount components that is an easy one. As I have a professional silk screen machine specifically for circuit boards. I will post a video of this machine operating with no screen.
last silk screen pass (solder paste stencil) for solder paste.

1. for low volume production you can place by hand. then re-flow oven or real low tech heat gun
  2. for medium to high volume I have a pick and place I can use. But I don’t believe the demand is near that level. It would need to get to 10 a day to warrant the setup time for the pick and place. At that then this would allow for 500 in an 8 hour shift. then re-flow oven
2 Likes

Hmmmm, sounds like you have done this before @CGROSBECK :wink: Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I looked at the pro screen printer but not quite sure how that all works, looked to be a silkscreen printer for T-shirts and the like?? Would like to hear more on that and if I was looking in the wrong direction.

To madman1412 about to up load the screen printer vid on you tube. This is not for T shirts. If you are looking for one it needs to have registration adjustments on the work bed, so that the PCB board can be precisely aligned with the screen.

Looking forward to seeing this! Sounds super interesting. I put these things in the air all the time but I’ve never seen the process of how they are made. Very cool!