Open source Alienflight FC

Also, the driver is on the website
Unzip the file, and browse to it when prompted.

1 Like

I was able to upload and install the USBasp driver, now I just have to get some time to try and flash the boot loader…I’ll see how it goes in the morning. Thanks for your help @Complacent1. :grinning:

1 Like

@Hammer - Which driver did you use John as I am having the same problem with two different USBasp programmers. Thanks

If the usbasp is still having trouble when you try to flash, you will most likely need to manually install the driver which means you need to go into devices and printers find that device right click with the mouse and a drop down menu will appear, go down to properties and that will list the devices properties such as the driver if installed. If no driver is installed there should be an advanced tab that will open a new menu which should have option to update driver. When you go to update it do not let windows do the search, click browse then find the folder with the driver, should be in downloads and make sure that has been unzipped. If you point it to that folder and click next or save windows will install the correct driver. Had to do this for my bootloader programmer for both the USBasp and the TTL to USB for multiFlite, and a 9XR pro that kept wanting to be something else when windows thought it knew what driver to use. I followed the link from the AlienFlight bootloader instruction to DL the USBasp drivers. Here is a dropbox link for the driver https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f71cj9rdiomfqzf/AADkPdSinhpS560E6kNbU4xYa?dl=0

[quote=“pedro147, post:289, topic:178, full:true”]
@Hammer - Which driver did you use John as I am having the same problem with two different USBasp programmers. Thanks
[/quote][quote=“madman1412, post:290, topic:178, full:true”]
If the usbasp is still having trouble when you try to flash, you will most likely need to manually install the driver which means you need to go into devices and printers find that device right click with the mouse and a drop down menu will appear, go down to properties and that will list the devices properties such as the driver if installed. If no driver is installed there should be an advanced tab that will open a new menu which should have option to update driver. When you go to update it do not let windows do the search, click browse then find the folder with the driver, should be in downloads and make sure that has been unzipped. If you point it to that folder and click next or save windows will install the correct driver. Had to do this for my bootloader programmer for both the USBasp and the TTL to USB for multiFlite, and a 9XR pro that kept wanting to be something else when windows thought it knew what driver to use. I followed the link from the AlienFlight bootloader instruction to DL the USBasp drivers. Here is a dropbox link for the driver https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f71cj9rdiomfqzf/AADkPdSinhpS560E6kNbU4xYa?dl=0
[/quote]Well here’s an update. I installed the driver from the protostack website following the instructions there. When I go to the Device Manager the USBasp shows working properly on Com1 with the driver installed.

When I plug the USBasp programmer into the laptop with the 5V FC connected, the power LED on the FC lights up briefly and then goes out. When I try to burn the boot loader Arduino gives me a failed to load notice.

I’ve double checked the continuity of the wiring on the FTDI to the FC and everything seems to be proper. Should the power LED on the FC be solid when I plug the USBasp programmer into the PC prior to flashing the boot loader?

Try a few times @Hammer, if it has a failed connection, also make sure that you selected com port 1 for the card and that USBasp is selected as the programmer. If it is saying sck error ignore it and use the usb to load the current 2.4 multiwii alienwii sketch. When you first connect bootloader the light comes on faintly then goes out. When you flash the bootloader it should light brightly and flash, connect and disconnect from the pc, do not unplug till arduino says done uploading. If the bootloader flashed when you plug the fc in via USB it will be recognized as a Leonardo board and you will have to select a com port before trying to upload a sketch. Make sure to shut down arduino between bootloader flashing and the sketch flash via usb.
http://community.micro-motor-warehouse.com/t/bootloader-flashing-for-alienwii-original-fc/310?u=madman1412

I’ve been able to flash the boot loader then shut down Arduino. Now I’m having problems with the sketch, not sure what the problem is. Do I need to have the proper sketch file on my PC?

1 Like

@Hammer,
Have you followed the steps as given here:
http://alienflight.com/brushed-alienwii-32u4-firmware-flashing/

Hope to see ya up in the air soon with those finely built Aliens! Good luck!

1 Like

The alienwii brushed firmware is no longer there but there is a link to the multiwii software. If you go to MMW @Benedikt still has a copy of that attached to the product page for the AW. If you download just from multiwii you will have to go through and set your own defines in the sketch. Here is a link to the brushed alienwii firmware from Benedikts page
http://alienwii.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/AlienWii_Brushed.zip
When you click on this link it will down load the file in a zip folder, extract that and note where you save it so you can tell arduino where to find it when you are ready to flash the firmware.

Correction that sketch is still there I was just looking at the page that gives a link to multiwii. My bad :([quote=“Jtwalkz, post:296, topic:178”]
So @madman1412 , the sketch isn’t on step 3 of the link I posted? It works fine on my builds…
[/quote]

1 Like

So @madman1412 , the sketch isn’t on step 3 of the link I posted? It works fine on my builds…

I’m not the resident Wii genius though…I just crash stuff,right?

1 Like

Upon attempting to burn the bootloader I get this error:

Arduino: 1.6.6 (Windows 7), Board: “Arduino Leonardo”

avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn’t answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

Error while burning bootloader.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.

edit: This must be a problem with my connectors.

@boomtown @madman1412 memtions this in his bootloader video @ 3m 35s. Just ignore the error and flash the :alien:Wii sketch regardless and it should all be good to go :smile:

1 Like

No, it didn’t work. My power light turns on with the USB plug in but not with the bootloader plugs. When I hit it to upload the Power light flashes briefly and gives that error.
Also, I’m a victim of Win 10 and can’t get the Usbasp driver on my computer for the life of me. So I can only work on this at my office i guess. :frowning:

That’s a PITA @boomtown Yes I wouldn’t touch Windoze 10 with a barge pole :smiley:

Now I’m thinking that I was not successful flashing the bootloader. I had the same experience as @boomtown using Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. I’ve not been able to upload the sketch, Arduino seems to get locked in the process.

I’m curious if you’ve ever flashed a bootloader for the original AlienWii or Classic Narrow. I’ve done it on win 7. Just trying to help figure out if its an issue with the new Alienflight.

@Complacent I think that @Hammer and @boomtown 's bootloader issues are related to Windoze driver issues seeing as Adam Digilord and Lordnibbia have all flashed the BL successfully. I have tried to flash the BL onto a Classic 3.3v production FC with two different USBasp programmers and no luck. They either install as unknown device and no matter what kind of drivers I point them at, they all end up saying that “Windoze knows better” and it has already using the best driver available :slight_smile: The second programmer I tried which is came from the same Ebay link as Adam’s did, wouldn’t show up under Ports but rather in a USBasp category all of its own. In both cases it is not possible to assign a com port to them so they can be used by Arduino to BL the FC Very frustrating I can assure you. The USB to serial converter is used by my SMD oven controller to monitor the reflow temps via the serial port.
First programmer

Second programmer

I have tried everything from uninstalling the device and trying to direct the driver loading to what I want but no go. The other thing is that all these programmers require different drivers depending on the actual chip in the programmer. It isn’t a case of one size fits all. I even tried the Zadig software that Quote “Zadig is a Windows application that installs generic USB drivers, such as WinUSB, libusb-win32/libusb0.sys or libusbK, to help you access USB devices” This bootloader issue is just souring the whole experience for some of us and I would love it if someone could find a specific programmer, with the correct driver and a method of installation that works 100% of the time. Pipe dreams :smile:

I upgraded to windows 10 @boomtown and although it did cause sveral issues that took about 3 days of trying to fix I was surprised to find that it did not screw things up too badly in Arduino and multiwii. Did you try flashing the firmware? You need to use the USB connection for that and you must also assign the port when you plug it back in, I would also advise shutting down arduino after the bootloader then plug in the fc and open arduino. You can do this man! I want to see some folks flying so please keep trying! haha Like @pedro147 says the sck error is normal and it took me a little while to get past all that. If Arduino says “done uploading” and the status bar disappears then the bootloader should have flashed. I can not recall if the power LED stayed on after I flashed the bootloader but I would not worry about that just try to flash the sketch if it did what I said.

Sounds like a challenge! “Are you threatening me!?” haha the great corn holio quote from Beavis and Butthead. But seriously I did have similar issues where the USBasp device had the wrong driver installed by windows and I went in to the device properties and the advanced settings then update driver. When you do that it will give you that would you like windows to search and hell no I don’t want windoze to search so I choose browse for drivers and point it to the correct one.

1 Like

I had to take a break from this bootloader issue to come back and take get a fresh look. I never thought building the boards would be the easy part of this process…go figure. I now know I was NOT successful in my attempts to flash the bootloader. I have the same FTDI as @madman1412, I purchased it from a link he provided. When it’s connected to the laptop and I check device manager it says both the USBasp device and COM port 1 are working properly with the correct drivers installed. I’m still unable to install the bootloader, the error notice I get in Arduino when trying is different than the error @madman1412 reports in his video, it appears immediately after I select download, there is no progress indicated or LED response on the FC.

This is a bit frustrating as @pedro147 says, I’m sure there is a solution though, I’m not giving up.

2 Likes

Never give up, you’re at the finish line @Hammer