NotFastEnuf E011 / Bwhoop Silverware Fork

Guys I have gone ahead and created an actual github fork for Silverware on the Bwhoop and E011 boards in light of the new Beta FPV lite fc coming out and all the different whoop and boss tunes that I’m trying to keep track of. I intend to try to keep it as stable as possible but I’d also like to use it as a platform to test out new experimental features or progressive ideas. So I am starting this thread to invite you to participate, give feedback, contribute, test features, and help perfect tunes.

I’ve already made alot of changes from the stock firmware:
Completely new config.h organization (start here to setup the firmware to match your equipment). I hope that it will be a little more intuitive to setup for those of you that may be new to silverware. I actually hope that’s it’s clear enough now that you’ll know exactly what to do when you see it … but I’ll go over it anyway. Start by opening the project in Keil, then find the config.H file and open it. Inside you will select bwhoop or e011 to automatically set your hardware parameters. Then you will assign your rates - expo - deadband - radio protocol - transmitter type - and assign features to auxiliary channel switches in a receiver section. Section 3 is all about voltage and low voltage cutoff. Section 4 is your filters for gyro and D term. They are frequency adjustable and i reccomend you treat them similarly to the way you would betaflight. Section 5 is motor output settings - things like props out (reversed motor and prop orientation) and pwm rate. Section 6 are additional features.
After you work over config.h, open up the pid.c file. I will keep updated some pretty universally good pids based on build types there but feel free to explore on your own.

In the past I was posting links to my Google drive with whoop tunes and once the Boss series was added into the mix … and the E011, bwhoop, e011c, beta fpv lite board types - and devo vs taranis multimodule users -
the number of setup specific files has just become overwhelming. So now … it’s all gonna be in one place and this one repository download should work for everything if you do your part and go through config.h and pid.c before you build the target and flash your hex.

E011 7mm Newcomer - Now hacked for acro

So where am I at now … I need to update the readme to reflect all the stuff that is different from stock silverware so that you know what to look for and help test. I will make an experimental feature list as soon as possible! In the mean time - I’d like to start by finding out if it works at all!! LOL I don’t have a Bwhoop or E011C board, or a taranis multimodule for testing and I’d like to first make sure I got all that setup stuff right inside once you make the appropriate board and transmitter selections. My personal equipment is Devo and E011. So I know that works, but if anyone else willing using other equipment would like to test - I appreciate your feedback. I’ll be back later tonight with that experimental features list so you know whats inside! (Yes RACEMODE is in there!! :wink:)

I’m ready to revisit silverware, I have a Bwhoop and an E011 board here, the E011 has been flashed but I was not able to get it to bind to my multi module? so shelved silverware (6mnths ago?). But given all the new work that’s gone into it since, and the new FC’s available, and the fact your condensing all the info (rather than sorting through pages of previous posts) now seems as good a time as any. Cheers Travis.

Nice NFE. I think it’s worth talking to Silverxxx so he can implement the config layout to the rest of the firmwares in the long term. There’s quite a few firmwares out there so it’ll get confusing

Well… it is certainly a change that I made with much hesitation. I don’t want to add to confusion … but I do think that the standard format we, as silverware users, have become accustomed to is challenging for new people to learn. I’d like to first see if this type of format catches on and to see what we develop it into. If it turns out great I am sure Silver would be on board. Let’s see how it goes first though … this is just a starting point. Also, there is talk of maybe one day using a Bluetooth app to do config changes … so there are destined to be lots of changes to config in the future. Did you think the way I reformatted was helpful? @yets do you have any suggestions?

@PJC - would you like to be set as as collaborator on this github repository to start working on a link to a mobile GUI?

You’re pushing it forward which is good. Along with the Bluetooth app I guess we’ll be getting a GUI? I quite like the way it is at the moment, niche and simple once you get round to understanding it. Makes it stand out from BF and CF. I don’t like change much though!

I think the layout is good, choosing the FC is really good as the pins are already allocated to each model. This would be great if it could be consolidated to all current FW so there’s one main FW and then it’s easier to update e.g the H8 mini FW was updated recently after lagging behind Bwhoop FW (but I guess Silver is busy!)

I think eventually the PIDs (and PWM/DShot protocols) would be helpful to be moved into config if we continue to use this setup, keeping all the changes needed to be on one page which is easier than searching pages for newcomers.

Just make sure you get the go ahead from Silver on the GUI though

Yeah I’m not trying to go too far off on my own. And I don’t want to change anything too much either or go down any rabbit holes that don’t have silver’s support. I like the organic feel of it too. But I do think we could benefit from a bleeding edge beta testers repository for those that want to attempt to push tunes, features, and performance to the limits. That’s what I hope this to be.

For example: the defaults on this file are exactly like i fly them - ready to power loop the kitchen sink as @JBFPV would say. The stock firmware is not and should not be this way. It has to appeal to a much larger user base. My flavor of silverware is a niche within the niche. Lol

Readme file on github updated tonight with a list of my experimental features and some guidance on how to set up in my new config.h arrangement.

I also updated my boss pids and filter settings in pid.c so if you’re building a boss on an e011 or bwhoop fc - there are tunes in there that should get you pretty close. The default pid group loaded is of course for a 7mm whoop.

@NotFastEnuf your Racemode, can it help FPV newbies like me to train?

edit: Nevermind, I have an answer! Great FW by the way. It all works with the Devo

I would say so. It’s really only the pitch axis that can get away from you. Heck with yaw rotating about the gravity vector you can basically steer with just yaw input once you set a forward angle. Can’t wait for you to try it out and let us know!

My whoop with mocking bird setup gains forward momentum very quickly, And takes a little to get use to when swapping between it and a standard tune, but, does seem to hit the gaps well in that it holds it’s altitude when your lining it up. I imagine ‘Racemode’ is similar, and for me tends to suit a faster track.

Ok, having tried it out;

1. My FPV skills need to get a lot better before I build these Boss quads. I’m awful, truly awful
  2. My batts are shot.
  3. Racemode is fantastic and will help me get grips with FPV alot better. The Yaw implementation is great, as you said you can set forward angle and just steer around. Well done NFE, more brilliant work from yourself.

The config.h looks a lot better! Oh Sh*t…, Racemode is in there?
Thanks T!!

Testing out a feature called torque boost next created by silver. This raises the voltage applied to the motors faster when the pid controller asks for an increase in motor speed which results in more instantaneous torque. Conversely it also drops the voltage to motors slowing down so that they slow down faster. So far it’s pretty hard to tune it in but some flights today have showed promise. Again just another highly experimental feature - intended for testing and fun only. Maybe some of you guys would like to try that too.

TORQUE BOOST feature is added to my fork and a pretty good tune for a Boss 7 with torque boost on is in there too. In fact I think the tune is an improvement over the best I have pulled off on a boss 7 so far. I may even be feeling confident enough to take some RACEMODE laps around inside with it on!!! It’s very much like a PID accelerator. Rolls & Flips were much more crisp and you can hear the motors revving harder and more immediately. Inside the extra pop is noticeable. Future experimentation will be done with this feature changing the type of lpf filter that it is based on. It’s basically a low pass filtered D term on motor outputs. If motor outputs are changing fast and are below the cut frequency - this feature says change them faster. Same thing for dropping voltage to slow them down. Recommendations for torque boost factor are in the config file along with some tips on how to re - tune when using it. Let me know if you decide to give it a try - I am curious as to what you think!

What do you guys want to see next??? My second rate hack attempt at a horizon mode? A crash recovery mode for acro? I’m open to suggestions. Many of you may not know that there is an android app you can put on your phone that will show you your pids while you are tuning with stick gestures and also displays in flight telemetry data. The only drawback to this is that you can’t also have telemetry on your devo at the same time. One of the silverware contributors named SilverAG has created a stick gesture edit in his fork to be able to switch back and forth between android and devo telemetry. That way you can pid tune with stick gestures, see your pids on the app, then switch back to devo telemetry so that you have your low voltage alarms and such back on in your transmitter. I was thinking of adding that next since I’d like to try the app but don’t want to give up my devo telemetry.

Yes please to the Devo-Android-Devo!

I like the layout NFE, looks very good. I’m sure it would seem even better after using it a little bit. I have a few suggestions below, but I trust your judgement better than mine, so no prob if you don’t like them :wink:

1. Would it be worth adding “#define MIX_THROTTLE_INCREASE_MAX 0.2f” under “#define MIX_INCREASE_THROTTLE_3” so that the mix_increase throttle can be tuned from config.h?

2. Would it be possible to add H8 mini blue to the selectable boards in config.h? That would complete the family of STM32F030 silverware boards. The H8 mini blue has one gyro pullup on the SDA line, same as E011.

3. Line 124 in config.h reads:
    "// *************1st order adjustable, second order adjustable, or 3rd order fixed - and adjust frequency"
    I was thinking that people might read that as the 3rd order filter being adjustable, rather than the first 2 filters? I know it says “fixed” too, but just seems too easy to misread.

4. What’s the chance, and it’s just cosmetic, of fixing the long-standing typo “//#define SOFT_LPF_2ST_HZ 80” ?

Love your work, would love to try these new filters etc, all my quads are STM32F030 boards.

Ian I am honored to have you make suggestions to me on this project - you have been using silverware much longer than I have so I think you have better judgment than I do! In response,

1. Sure… I just didn’t add it because I found that the default strength of the _3 increase pretty much made every brushed craft I have perfect. But I have not tried brushless yet. Do you frequently adjust that feature? I do want as many of the usually hidden adjustment features visible while still using some discretion so as not to make it too confusing for someone new. Most of the people that flash one of my whoop tunes are usually brand new to silverware.

2. Absolutely! Is that all of the stm32f0 boards then?

3. Good point - I will try to re word that. That 3rd order d filter is actually on the chopping block - I’m not sure it’s necessary. But as long as it’s there - it should be more clear.

4. Yeah… let’s fix that 2st into a 2nd. Hehe

Thanks again!

@Bobnova - agreed. I like the sound of devo - app - devo switching too. I think while I’m at it there - tge protocol selection could be cleaned up a bit and maybe incorporated into the transmitter selection defines. That way selecting

• devo w/telemetry
  • devo w/android telemetry
  • devo w/switching telemetry
    Would just set everything correctly. Or something like that. I wonder if the multimodule users on taranis radios get telemetry back on their tx? I really don’t know. Maybe they are dependent on only android telemetry if they want It? Can anyone advise me there? And to those same taranis (or other) multimodule users - did I get the channel mapping correct for your radios on the aux channels? Ie does 5 in software go to 5 on tx… 6 to 6, etc?

1. Sounds good, I haven’t had to tune mix_increase_throttle_3 either but haven’t used it for long. I used to tune an early version of mix_increase_throttle that doesn’t exist any more. Best leave it out for sure. If you aren’t needing to change it, I doubt anyone else will.

2. That would be great! Yes that would be all the STM32F030 boards currently available as far as I know.

3. cool 4. cool, thanks.

I don’t have a Taranis, but I’m reasonably sure if using the multipro module at least some of the chanels are off by one number. Would test if I had one. I guess an easy test is just assign LED’s on/off to a channel and go through all the channels. Regarding telemetry for Taranis, I’m not sure sorry. I don’t think it displays voltage and gives low batt warning like a Devo.

I hope this question hasnt been answered already… Are the Boss 7 tunes for 46mm props or stock?

EDIT: Sorry, of course its all there in pid.c AMAZING/THANK YOU!!!

But, now I have to ask: What are these “KingKong 66mm props”!?!?!