Micro Motor Community

NotFastEnuf "Boss Series" Brushed Frames - 3D Printable (v2 stl files post #368)

@yets agreed - nylon it’s really easy to print. Especially the carbon filled ones. I’ve always avoided ABS because of the fumes…

Once you start to think about getting adventurous - polycarbonate is just unbeatable though …

Thanks. I’ll have to see if I can get Cura on Ender 3. I need to build the damn thing first, been a week sat in it’s box.

Look into octopi / octoprint too.

Yeah, that’ going to take some modding to get the printer to get hot enough for polycarbonate.

Do you guys think I shouldn’t bother with PLA too?

For printing nice trinkets and toys for the kids absolutely. For multirotor parts - nope!

Thanks for the advice @Taylormadearmy and @NotFastEnuf

@NotFastEnuf @Taylormadearmy I remember from the DJ-105 enclosed 2.5" BL frame and now the Boss Series that Nylon reigns supreme. I would also love to try PC to make my own (low volume/prototype) propellers.

I don’t have a 3D printer yet. However, I’ve decided that 2019 will be the year I finally jump on the 3D wagon. My daughter learned to use one at camp and has been asking. Hopefully, the boy will get interested as well.

I know I’ll want something with a heated bed, enclosure, and metal print head. Based on your comments, I’ll want something that can print Nylon and PC out of the box, or at least with an easy upgrade. PLA for flexible parts as well. Build volume doesn’t have to be gigantic, but 200x200mm print area would sure be nice. Ideally, I’d like to keep the budget around $500, although I’d be willing to pay more if it gives me reliable Nylon and PC prints and a better user experience (I want to spend my time on MMC, not 3D support forums :stuck_out_tongue: ).

Is that realistic? Any advice and specific recommendations appreciated! :smiley:

You also want 24v system on heated bed and print nozzle. This 12v stuff is way too underpowered

Thanks, @NotFastEnuf!

Looks like the Monoprice Maker Ultimate might fit those requirements, incl. a 24V system. I just have to figure out which one of all the filament acronyms stands for Nylon. Hopefully there’s one for Polycarbonate in there too. :relaxed:

Browsing on Amazon, the FlashForge Finder seems like an easy and inexpensive starter tool. I suspect it won’t have all the features I would like, not even as an upgrade. But it sure looks attractive in red! :smiley:

Edit/PS: One more question. Is it worth it to get a printer with two heads, so that you can print a dissolvable filament for support? Sure sounds good, but maybe more cost and trouble than it’s worth in practice.

Just had to order a new TV, as our 15 year-old plasma gave up the ghost last week. So I’ve got some time to learn and research options while I slowly replenish the “discretionary spending” account. :wink:

If you want something that just works for all materials up to PC take a look at an original Prusa MK3. If you get the kit it’s above your budget, but may be worth considering. More expensive sure, but you can print everything up to PC with no mods.

I started with a smaller cheaper printer and heavily modded it and learnt a lot. But equally I honestly think I’d have been just as good going straight for the Prusa kit (though I spent so much time on my cheap printer I ended up spending the money on the pre-built as if used all my wife allotted free time already!).

That all said - there are good cheaper options that will get you printing up to nylon temps with few mods. Polycarbonate will take some more modding as you need to get close to 300C which most (all?) cheaper options can’t manage.

Lots of good info here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comments/9tdw98/purchase_advice_megathread_what_to_buy_who_to_buy/?utm_source=reddit-android 3

Thank you, @Taylormadearmy!

The Original Prusa i3 MK3 is not a bad suggestion. It might even be worth it to buy the prebuilt version to save time and anguish. That said, I’m not sure that I am serious enough to warrant a $750 kit or $1000 pre-built model.

That sounds like the classical “new hobby” scenario. :wink:

I think that’s the path I’m hoping to avoid. I just don’t have the time or energy to do that much learning in a new field. That’s really the catch when you want a 3D printer as a working tool for another hobby, but don’t want to get into it as a new/additional hobby.

Thank you! That’s a critical point!

If polycarbonate requires 300C temps, it’s really in a different league from the more common materials. Playing in the major league (PC) might be biting off more than I can chew. Minor league might already be overly ambitious. :relaxed:

While printing PC is tempting, I think I need to give up on that to start. Nylon (and all the common starter filaments) should be plenty of practical use and fun. I can always prototype a part with materials I can print myself, and then get a commercial 3D printer to turn out some parts in PC.

Oh my! Reddit is overwhelming. But I’ll see if I can glean some useful info when I have a quiet moment.

@Taylormadearmy Was getting round to ordering some filament, can PC be printed in the same way as Nylon? *Enclosure to get hot enough temperature

I’ve managed to print PC without an enclosure - though it does take some effort (lots of glue, brims, only relatively small prints and wide extrusion widths).

The main requirement is high print temperatures - around 300C. What can you get to?

Ender 3 says 255 degrees but I’ve ordered an all metal hot end and would need to change FW. Maybe 280 some are saying online, I should probably stick to nylon

Looking to print some of your frames :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve managed to get to 300C on my Monoprice Mini with an all metal hotend…

So you may be able to get there…

Can you order a sample to try? I think it really is worth the effort…

I feel bad about designing something that only really works with PC as it’s somewhat inaccessible…!

Yeah, I’ll order the sample. I’m just going to order some PLA for general stuff and maybe some ABS for in-between buy really interested in PC now. Thanks

@Taylormadearmy Pretty impressive – and encouraging – that you’ve managed to get to 300C without an enclosure…

…with “only” addition of an all-metal hot end… all on the Monoprice Mini!

I think you can feel good about it! Your design is a huge inspiration to shoot for the moon! :smile:

I have to take my time with jumping on the 3D wagon. But @NotFastEnuf’s Boss Series frames and recent discussion have definitely increased my motivation.

I’ve added a version of the Skele7on frame for ABS/Nylon PC now with everything a little sturdier for those materials. Won’t add any weight as those materials are less dense. Will try to add those versions for all my frames when I have time.

You gent, that’s great of you to do. If I’m honest, I’m going to shoot for PC. I do have some ABS on the way but you’ve just prompted me to order the PC sample…and to also build the printer (!!!)

Good luck! Once you are printing give me a shout if you need help with PC specific settings.