NotFastEnuf "Boss Series" Brushed Frames - 3D Printable (v2 stl files post #368)

The “Boss Series” - Look like a boss, fly like a boss, build like a boss! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ok guys, It seems I’ve gone overboard on another project and I’m eager to share it with you. I’ve designed a series of lightweight and durable frames to be printed in ABS that I’ve named the NotFastEnuf “BOSS SERIES!” As the project progresses I will edit the first few posts to keep updated files and information on the top of this thread. Many of you out there already have some of my whoop canopies and these frames are designed specifically around using those canopies on more than just tiny whoops. These frames are intended for ultralight builds so I’ve chosen only to offer variations of the frames for 3 flight controller mounting styles each of which is focused on keeping it light! Toy grade whoop style flight controllers (like the E011) with their asymmetric diamond mounting pattern, inductrix style flight controllers with their true diamond mounting pattern, and the eachine tiny f3 - to be mounted on rails. The following frames will be posted and maintained below with suggested print settings, details, and flight videos:
6mm - up to 50mm props - 80mm - finished fpv build weights as light as 18 grams
7mm - up to 50mm props - 80mm - finished fpv build weights as light as 20 grams - for 0716 motors
7mmXL - up to 55mm props - 90mm - finished fpv build weights as light as 27 grams - for 0720 motors
8mm - up to 66mm props - 100mm - finished fpv build weights as light as 30 grams - for 0816 motors
8.5mm - up to 66mm props - 100mm - finished fpv build weight as light as 34 grams

Please feel free to join in with build pictures and flight videos if you choose to print one! If you don’t already have a canopy and just want to get in the air - any camera mount that bolts on a whoop will bolt on one of these! Enjoy and I can’t wait to see what you guys do with these things and encourage your feedback! THEY FLY AMAZING!!

The frames are available in three different size classes - each size with multiple motor and fc mounting configurations. The rendering below gives you an idea on how the 80, 90, and 100mm layouts differ.

Be patient with me as it may look a little empty at first - I’ve got alot to load up here and its gonna take some time :wink:

Also, once I get one of each variation printed for a display picture in each size - I’d be happy to pass the displays along to anyone that doesn’t have access to a printer if you cover the shipping and post your build pics here. That means I’ll be giving away almost 20 frames :smile:

6mm (80mm frame) pictures, files, details, and flight videos

Pictured from left to right e011 - indy - tiny f3

Boss 6mm - E011.zip (284.6 KB)
Boss 6mm - INDY.zip (306.8 KB)
Boss 6mm - Tiny F3.zip (591.6 KB)
Frame Weight - approx 2.5 grams
Prop size - up to 50mm
Frame size - 80mm
Print Settings:
100% infill
Generate Supports (for the small overhang in the rear of the canopy mounting guide)
.1mm Layers

E011 Silverware File for the Boss 6:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YCPAPatyBo9abGq2jFNxxCGjR6lVfldg (11/13/17)
*Note - arm/idle up is set to devo channel 5. If you don’t have a devo and use some other multimodule - replace the word “DEVO” with “MULTI” in config.h line 174

NEW!! 6mm Whoop pictures, files, details (Added 11/2/17)

Boss Whoop 6mm - E011.zip (510.6 KB)
Boss Whoop 6mm - INDY.zip (534.0 KB)
Frame Weight - approx 3.0 grams
Prop size - standard whoop
Frame size - 64mm
Print Settings:
100% infill
Generate Supports (for the small overhang in the rear of the canopy mounting guide)
.1mm Layers

E011 Silverware File for the 6mm Whoop:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WyE5LxuAeM8Y4YSP3Yv7bqs1lfxV91bc (11/13/17)
*Note - arm/idle up is set to devo channel 5. If you don’t have a devo and use some other multimodule - replace the word “DEVO” with “MULTI” in config.h line 174

7mm - 0716 (80mm frame) pictures, files, details, and flight videos

Boss 7mm - E011.zip (278.0 KB)
Boss 7mm - INDY.zip (293.7 KB)
Boss 7mm - Tiny F3.zip (275.6 KB)
Frame Weight - approx 3 grams
Prop size - up to 50mm
Frame size - 80mm
Print Settings:
100% infill
.1mm Layers

I intend to post one picture showing all the frame options side by side so you can see the changes between the variations for each size as I get them all printed.

7mmXL - 0720 (90mm frame) pictures, files, details, and flight videos

7mmXL
Boss 7mmXL - E011.zip (407.9 KB)
Boss 7mmXL - INDY.zip (432.2 KB)
Boss 7mmXL Lite - E011.zip (435.6 KB)
Boss 7mmXL - Tiny F3.zip (435.0 KB)
Boss 7mmXL Lite - INDY.zip (460.0 KB)
Boss 7mmXL Lite - Tiny F3.zip (459.6 KB)
Frame Weight - approx 4 grams
Prop size - up to 55mm
Frame size 90mm
Lite version has 3mm thick arms instead of 4mm at thinnest point.
Print Settings:
0% infill (yes zero!)
Set wall thickness to 1.2 mm for a .4 print nozzle - 3 walls (3 wall configuration is critical to strength)
Set top/bottom thickness to match 1.2 mm
.1mm Layers

8mm - 0816 (100mm frame) pictures, files, details, and flight videos

Boss 8.0mm - E011.zip (374.2 KB)
Boss 8.0mm - INDY.zip (399.6 KB)
Boss 8.0mm - Tiny F3.zip (423.2 KB)
Boss 8.0mm Lite - E011.zip (403.5 KB)
Boss 8.0mm Lite - INDY.zip (427.6 KB)
Boss 8.0mm Lite - Tiny F3.zip (446.4 KB)
Frame Weight - approx 4 to 5 grams
Prop size - up to 66mm
Frame size 100mm
Print Settings:
0% infill (yes zero!)
Set wall thickness to 1.2 mm for a .4 print nozzle - 3 walls (3 wall configuration is critical to strength)
.1mm Layers

8.5mm (100mm frame) pictures, files, details, and flight videos

Pictured from left to right e011 - indy - tiny f3

Boss 8.5mm - E011.zip (373.0 KB)
Boss 8.5mm - INDY.zip (398.5 KB)
Boss 8.5mm - Tiny F3.zip (423.4 KB)
Boss 8.5mm Lite - E011.zip (402.3 KB)
Boss 8.5mm Lite - INDY.zip (426.0 KB)
Boss 8.5mm Lite - Tiny F3.zip (446.5 KB)
Frame Weight - approx 4 to 5 grams
Prop size - up to 66mm
Frame size - 100mm
Print Settings:
0% infill (yes zero!)
.1mm Layers

Brilliant stuff, @NotFastEnuf! As mentioned before, I love how well these new 3D-printed frames match up with your vacuum molded canopies. :sunglasses:

I hope @Benedikt is watching, and prints and builds some of these too! :smile:

Gonna have to dig through my box of brushed quads this winter. I have several Nano QX’s and at least one set of fresh MMW 6mm motors waiting to be put to good use.

6mm-INDY versions headed out to @Quad_Jake and 8.5mm-tiny f3 versions on the way to @quadlifepro today. I can’t wait to see what you guys do with these things!

A local flying buddy also picked up some 6mm boss frames this weekend. I’ll post his vids/pics when he gets his together.

I’ll add a tip for you guys … if you ever need to make a minor repair on abs plastic… a tiny drip of acetone will melt it and it will fuse itself back together. Let it dry overnight as it takes a while for the melted plastic to harden back up.

@NotFastEnuf Wow only a year on this forum and you’ve contributed so much, helping people get/stay in the air, and even developing awesome frames for all! Let’s not for get those vids too :fearful: you the man @NotFastEnuf

Thanks bro! It’s been a wild ride - but I owe the success I’ve had with micros and my contributions to the hobby back to the support I’ve received from our community here. I hope this place remains the friendly, helpful, and encouraging cornerstone of the micro fpv hobby that it is now for many years to come!

Well, I just updated the last of the files tonight and added a few more pics and details dispersed throughout the first few posts. Everything has been modeled now except I think I am going to add a whoop frame to the boss lineup. I’ve learned quite a bit from this project and would like to see if I can pull off a durable sub 2g whoop frame. If I can, I will add it in 6 & 7mm for both e011 and INDY mount patterns - If not we have plenty of 3 gram frames to choose from on the open market so its really not advantageous. Wish me luck guys!

Still more frame and build pics yet to come as I continue printing and I have yet to edit fpv footage but I still intend to build each size and post an example of performance.

Known issues in the designs…
The back of the e011 fc is a really tight fit down into the canopy guides. In fact I filed the edges off my pcb. Haven’t decided if I’m gonna leave it that way or redesign. Probably just leave it since it only affects the e011 fc and I’m otherwise happy with the geometry. I’ll take a picture later of the adjustment I made to my fc for reference.

The 6mm frames are a little loose fitting on the motor mounts. I do prefer a tighter fit. All the other sizes almost require wetting the inside of the mount with a q tip dipped in acetone before the motor is pressed in. I will probably tighten it up on the 6mm files soon.

@chime13 has sent me some pictures of a tiny f3 mocked up inside a frame. It seems to fit well on the 6mm but I added some material to the connection point of the rails for the bigger frames so I’m curious on a report back for those. @quadlifepro should know in a few days. I think it will be ok.

I mocked up a quick conversion of the boss 6mm into ducted regular whoop size and I’m coming up with 2.5g of material to print it. I’m not sure cutting .5 grams savings over manufactured frames is worth adding it to the lineup. What do you guys think?

I’d say give people the option of a regular whoop. Because people like to play and experiment. Especially those who have their own 3D printer. :wink:

Whoop Prototype 1 - 2.8 grams.

Not sure how I can cut 1/3 of the material out of this frame and have anything left. It is however strong enough to be a daily driver.

I’ll fly this one a bit and makes sure it holds up as expected. Time to dive in the junk motor pile and try to find 4 that still spin since I’m just gonna run it into the wall over and over till I break it. While I do that I’ll start thinning out the frame substructure and build a second whoop to try to find a lower limit for durability and see where that puts weight.

Beautiful frames! Such impressive weight

Great looking frames.

I will be more than happy to test out these frames. I have a bunch of motors from 615-8520 cold and lonely waiting for a place to live.

What fc mount style would you like to use @CRayTech? …and pick a size😊

7mmXL Tiny F3.

@Bobnova started an 816 build - as I understand it the flight after his maiden was cut short by his neighbors roof… hope you get it back today brother! I took the liberty of cross posting his pics for him so you guys could see his AMAZING lightweight results!

Nice work man!