New EF-02 800TVL AIO Cam

Hi,
just got two of this: http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-EF-02-AIO-5_8G-40CH-25MW-800TVL-VTX-13-Cmos-FPV-Camera-p-1119217.html?rmmds=myorder

Advertised as 8000TVL 25mW 1/3. What means 1/3? It refer to the sensor area, 1/3 of inch. Other commons cams are usually 1/4 of inch. More area means more light, so more sensitivity and image quality.

This is the theory. I just started to analyze and disassembly the cam, comparing with the well known CM275T: http://www.banggood.com/CM275T-5_8G-25mW-48CH-NTSCPAL-Mini-VTX-600TVL-FPV-Camera-for-DIY-Micro-FPV-Racer-p-1102464.html?rmmds=search

I have a F36 frame with Chaoli motors and Beecore FC and I want select the better camera for the project: CM275 or EF-02?

Left: CM, Right: EF. Bigger sensor seems to be true.

PCB thickness of the EF is like paper: this helps to save wheight.

This is CM pcb thickness.

Power consumption for CM: 380mA

Power consumption for EF: 307mA

Difference in consumption is very noticeable BUT… VM has linear antenna and EF has a cloverleaf. In the next images this aspect can be more clearly interesting.

Naked the EF, removing the cloverleaf antenna: very lightwheight, 2.62 grams.

Wheight of the “complete” set CAM, cables and linear antenna: 3.45

CM cam “complete” set has same wheight.

Now, the interesting thing: the EF with soldered linear antenna, similar to the CM antenna, uses more mA. Why? Beacuse the antenna is more efficient and more power is radiated in the air? Or the opposite is true, the antenna is less efficient and energy is waste in warming electronics?

Some RF exptert needed here to explain this

In the next episode, I think I will measure temperature and then, when decision made, I will split the selected cam, separating CAM from VTX for a low profile mount.

Meanwhile, how I can measure TVL specification? How tell if 800TVL is true?

Bye.

Very informative thread.
Can’t contribute much, no knowledge 'bout your questions.
Did you compare image quality yet. I’m curious how he ef-02 performs, have one coming too.

A quick view through Skyzone googgle didn’t give me any noticeable difference. I must test in low light conditions or outdoor in a sunny day.

I looking for a way to measure real TVL but I found nothing.

I think you measure TVL in the same way you measure C ratings on batteries. I believe it involves thin air.

Got mine a week or so ago. But I don’t have googles or a screen to test it with. I’ve been saving for some fatsharks. Hoping I’ll be able to afford them in a few weeks. I’m going to end up splitting this to put it in the nano. Any idea if you have to connect one or both of the connections on the 2 pin? I know on the TX02 one of them is 5V and needs to be connected.

I will split today. If the 4th pin is needed, I will try to make a bridge if voltage is the same.

Unlike other models, this one has the supply power connected to the cam module instead of VTX.

I detached pcb’s. Using a multimeter I got near 5V on the internal side pin of the 2 pin attachment. So, power go to CAM pcb and a DC DC stepup converter raise voltage to 5V which supply the VTX module. One of the 3 pin part is the CAM signal and remaing 2 pins seems to be useless, apart from mechanical use.

Cool. So you only need to attach the video signal on the 3pin and then both of the 2pin. Good to know for when I separate mine. Thanks dude! :+1:

Actually I removed the ground cable: it’s the same.

In my photos, I detached the green cable from the cam and connected to the black. Only 3 wires required.

With the modules detached current can be measured: 120mA for the VTX.

Finished my building. The cam is really crisp, images are clear and contrast is perfect BUT:

1. There are 3 dust circles in the image, dust from the inside of lens
  2. Otpical axes are wrong due to sensor misalignment. Cam must be tilted to the right to have front perspective
  3. After 5 minutes all stopped working: VTX doesn’t turn on. Mesuread V pins and the 5 voltage is there. There is a chip, maybe a voltage regulator, which becomes hot, 80 °C

The 5 minutes flight time was awesome, even because this video for betaflight settings:

New photo by Vincenzo Tarricone

HI, EF-02 camera conversion OSD. The phenomenon described above is experienced by KB. After 5 minutes, OSD paused. The problem is that I connected the camera input to the OSD 5V! Properly connect the positive (red) pole of the battery directly. Explanation: The EF-02 camera is a converter whose input voltage is smaller than the output voltage. Sorry I do not speak English, I called Google Translator.
Jimmi

Not true… the 800TVL cam has a much better picture than the 600TVL cam. Quite noticeable… looking for replacement better than the EF-02.