OK so I’m reaching out to you guys again for inspiration, accountability, motivation… and maybe some group participation if you’re into this.
So I feel like my flying has regressed lately … become very “vanilla”. I’m putting in the stick time and getting worse (sort of). Now how does that make sense you ask… well I feel it’s because when I was improving was when I only had one craft to seriously fly outdoors - my 8.5mm brushed. Now I have multiple brushed and brushless rigs to choose from and I divide up my stick time between them. I have had no focus, no goals, no organization - BUT I have had a lot of fun. So I can’t really complain but I’m at a point where I feel lile improving my freestyle would be fun and I think I have a plan.
So I’m going to place all the freestyle moves into a few categories (5 so far right now) and I’m going to pick one category at a time and master it on everything I own (whoops, brushed, & brushless) Hopefully with enough repetition and focus I will develop not just the ability to perform the maneuvers but some style of my own too.
- “THE RUBBER NECK” - This will be any sort of proximity fly by done on an obstacle where some sort of spin is performed to keep it in frame as its passed.
- “THE HANGTIME” - Just as it sounds… anything that involves an extended freefall.
- “THE HALLWAY” - Close proximity fast and low flight where the appearance of ripping down a hallway makes it look really fast.
- “THE CARVE” - The ability to cruise around in a more open space with more gentle flow to turns and direction changes.
- “MATTY GUANO” - This I’m saving for last … totally insane maneuvers that involve flying backwards with high up tilt - generally anything that makes you go - how is that even possible - when you see it.
So there it is … I’m gonna start with the rubber neck. For the next however long it takes - I am just going to rubberneck every obstacle in my flying space in any way I can think of. I will mash up some clips to post here on my progress - and maybe with this being my primary focus … I will be able to rubber neck with style.