Modding the Wolfwhoop WT05 AIO VTX for OSD

I recently received a $50 Amazon gift card and decided to use it to buy components for a new micro brushed FPV rig. I found an interesting flight controller which seems to be fairly new. It is based on the STM32F303 micro. It only had two reviews and I could not find much information about it. There were two features that I found interesting, so I decided to give it a try. First, it has an integrated FrSky compatible RX. Second, it has integrated OSD. This is the HobbyMate AIO F3 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XRZ7LVJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I also found an interesting camera/VTX combo that has decent specs and fairly good reviews. This is the Wolfwhoop WT05 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJMQQ6Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It has a 25mW VTX and is only 15x12x7mm (not including the lens), and weighs only 3.4g. I decided to give it a try.

The reason for this post is to share what I found that might help anyone wanting to mod one of these little AIO camera/VTX modules to work with OSD. Since the camera module is soldered to the VTX module, the video signal is not easily routed to the OSD. On this particular module, the signal lines were not labeled. On visual inspection, there were six header pins around the corners of the modules which connected the camera and VTX boards. Two were obvious, as they were directly connected to the power lead. Using a multimeter in continuity mode, I was able to determine that the single pin header was ground, as was the center pin in the three pin header. That left two pins which could possibly be the video signal - one of the two end pins on the three pin header. I powered up the VTX and put an o’scope probe on each of the candidates and was able to determine which one I was after.

I didn’t think to take a picture before I began the mod. This is one of the listing images from Amazon showing the three pin header:

The pin on the bottom is the video signal. I used a small pair of diagonal cutters to clip out the video signal header pin from between the boards. This is what it looks like with the pin removed:

From here, it is just a matter of soldering leads for the Vin (video in) and Vout (video out) on the OSD:

The pin circled red goes to the Vin and the green one goes to Vout. Here is the final mod:

I wired the other side to the OSD pads on the FC board like so:

From there, all that was left was to fire up CleanFlight and configure the OSD. The config that came on the board already had the OSD enabled and mostly configured. I tweaked a couple of settings, saved it and broke out the goggles. The camera has a decent image and the OSD is working as expected.

I have almost finished with the build, but it is not ready to fly yet. Binding the the TX went well, and everything looks good so far. It arms and the motors spin up. It seems that I mounted two of the micro JST connectors for the motors backward though, so I won’t be able to test it out until that is resolved.

If anyone is interested in this FC and VTX, let me know. If so, I can post again with results of my flight test (VTX range, FC performance and whatnot).

Here are a couple pictures of the build thus far:

5 Likes

Clean work! Thanks for the write up!

1 Like

Very well done, and thank you. This post has been bookmarked for when I land on an FC with OSD

@mmoore
Or can I use your technique to wire in the AIO and use bf osd feature w stick commands?

Edit:
Still need a separate chip on FC for osd, got it.
Or do I? So confusing

I was thinking that when I read your thread (https://community.micro-motor-warehouse.com/t/field-pid-tuning-osd-questions). That is definitely an option. This is the first build I’ve done with OSD, so I’ve not yet had opportunity to try it. I don’t know yet whether I would recommend this FC. It’s a good price and good features. It bound to the TX easily and the OSD works. So far so good. I’ll know tomorrow how well it performs. Probably be a while before I know how long it performs (durability wise). However, regardless of the FC you should be able to use this type of setup to do OSD PID tuning with betaflight. I’m going to give that a try as soon as I get it flying.

Edit - RE separate chip:
To use OSD you will need to have some sort of hardware support. The FC I used here has integrated support on the board. If your FC does not have this, you can add an external module such as the MinimOSD. However, this assumes that the FC has an available UART port (or that you can mod to make one available). It would require similar hookup to the BT module I mentioned in your thread.

I picked up one of these fcs last week (dsmx)haven’t got it hooked up yet (building 5" for a friend) I have a few things from hobbymate including another f3 controller and have been happy with everything I’ve got from them so far I think you’ll be happy

Hey @bronco79
Happy anniversary!!!

1 Like

Thanks your the second person of the day Lol :grinning:

Soooo much has happened here in the last year, eh?
Hard to keep up. As a matter of fact, I haven’t come close :grimacing:

I know the tech in this hobby advances so quickly these days I grew up building balsa rc planes and they have been and for the most part still are plug and play now I need a computer to setup and tune my growing fleet of quads lol

1 Like

@bronco79 you are right on - so far I am very happy with the HobbyMate flight controller. Sorry I missed your anniversary. I saw the birthday cake icon that day and wasn’t sure what it meant until I saw the comments from the other folks. Happy belated anniversary.

I thought I’d update with a couple pictures of the final build, and a couple of thoughts. I’ve been really pleased with this setup so far. I built it on a Phoenix Flight Gear CF Micro-H frame. The camera/VTX module fits almost perfectly between the main frame and top plate. I got an initial flyable tune on it and it seems to perform pretty well. The only issue I’ve had is that it gets a bit wonky when the battery is low. I’m not sure which component is causing this. The batteries I’m using are getting pretty tired. I also originally had a pretty well used set of dark edition 8.5s on it. I suspect that as the problem and traded them out today. I’ve only flown one battery since I replaced the motors, but it seems to have improved the situation. I’ve not yet range tested either the RX or VTX, but I think this is going to turn out to be a pretty solid build.

1 Like

hey no prob it was my b-day lol thanks though😀 yea I will continue buying hobbymate got my eye on the mini aio cube with betaflight osd now😁 if your using the hobbymate dsmx rx I can vouch it works great 25mw cam feed goes out before you lose radio reception haven’t had a failsafe yet(knock on wood lol) that’s a nice looking build you got there, need to get my new fc in the air soon want to check out the osd