Micro Buzzer signal lost low voltage alarm implementation discussion Ideas

I put in an order for some additional buzzers to try out.
Ladies (are there any ladies?) and gentlemen, I crown a new micro buzzer winner.
Weighing in at a featherweight 0.74g and rated at 87dB, meet the Kingstate KXG0905 electromagnetic buzzer:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/magnetic-buzzer-components/7542034/
With a height of 5mm and diameter of 9.6mm, it’s one of the smallest I’ve seen. And this thing is loud.

It plugs in straight to the buzzer pin, no external circuitry necessary.

I’ve only found them online at RS components.

Thanks @littlrussian after taking 3 hours to find a lost quad today I ordered a pack of five :imp:

AlienWii buzzer discussion

@pedro147 I recently started flying fpv in new locations and quickly realized that going in without a buzzer is madness. I spent more time searching than flying.
Now all my micros have a buzzer. Glad this helped someone!

Yes especially when you are learning FPV I have found some kind of locating device invaluable. I normally run a stripped Loc8Tor tracker on my FPV quads, but being lazy have not fitted it to my latest build At around $200 per build, you are right in saying it is madness to ignore this. Once I get the buzzers in I will post up some photos. In the meantime here is a video of a buzzer setup that @loeten helped me with earlier for AlienWii FC’s

A loud buzzer is a good thing, but also the SMD ones I bought work well, while not being the loudest.
If you’ve lost you quad in an 200x200 meter field you are screwed anyways - unless you have some FPV gear. I find using the FPV signal to figure out the approximate direction of the quad quite comfortable. I just go into the direction with the best signal until I can make out the buzzer.

I prefer the SMD ones for their almost quadratic form factor, makes it super easy to mount them.
But now I also have to get some of those kingstate buzzers :wink:

How difficult is it to get a buzzer on the Alien F3 Quad v1?

I try to add a buzzer to my scisky FC, but i miss something.
I soldered a wire on the fourth pin, and get the ground from the board, but i never get 5v on my multimeter.
Here is a short video to describe my setup. Any help welcome, especially if you already done this mods, like @littlrussian or @pacer56

Check for shorts with the 5th and 3rd pin. The 4th one is correct. Tried it and it worked basically out of the box with and internally driven 0.7g buzzer. You might not be able to see anything like 5V on the multimeter since the FC only gives “short” beeps on that output and the multimeter is just too slow to measure that - might work if you wire up a capacitor. Just add the buzzer there - it should work.

Recently did this mod to a scisky, used AlienF1 - it worked as soon as I had soldered everything in properly.

Like @las said, it’s probably fine.
The DMM isn’t quick enough to show the proper values as they follow the same ON-OFF pattern as the LED on the scisky.
An oscilloscope would show you the right values. But don’t bother, just hook up the buzzer and bask in the irritating piezo glory.

I concur with the other two replies - it looks like it is probably working fine. You won’t actually be getting 5V peak either because there is only a 3.3V supply going to the CPU that is driving that pin.

@pacer56 3.3V? Boo!
I thought it was 5V. I bet we can get these buzzers louder by running the 3.3v into fet/transistor to switch the buzzer going to 5v. Has anyone tried? Is it worth the extra volume?

You are right ! @las, @pacer56 and @littlrussian . I plug a buzzer and it start to beep immediatly.
The fact is that it beep all the time, until i found the right setup in cleanflight.

I live in a flat and i guess my neighbours will not appreciate this sound again.
So i decided to make a setup that can switch between sound or led signal during setup.

Aside from the possible volume increase, depending on what current the particular buzzer draws. it is surely wise to use a FET to switch the supply current because that draw will probably be exceeding the safe maximum current that can be sourced from that pin anyway. See here

Cover the buzzer hole with Kapton tape - or some other easy to remove tape. That’s what I do on my workbench.
If you should do that - add to the pre-flight checklist a check for tape on the buzzer and buzzer functionality.

wait i dont live in the UK , do they ship to the US?

@littlrussian

many thanks to all, specifically: @pacer56, @bill, @littlrussian and the link to etheli, www.etheli.com/Micro8mmBrushedQuad for helping me find the cohones to install my buzzer! nothing new here, just so excited i dont have to tromp endlessly through the damn pricker bushes. After loosing a custom 7mm FPV nano qx earlier this spring i set out to never have that happen again. As i read here, smashed, broken, crashed…OK; lost, NOT OK! Im a new member here, newish (feb) to micros and loving all the great info here. you guys make it soo easy to learn. here’s the results:

https://youtu.be/xXWuJmhE1MA

Update Sept 5
New boards w buzzer pads: love it!
Smaller lighter RMRC BUZZERS:
https://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=505_523&products_id=4714

Show us your builds!
New X frame + extra scisky = new build!

Great job @Kamsleo69 I was on an AlienWii buzzer quest for a long time and eventually got there with help from @user179 and especially @loeten.

They are a wonderful thing and great piece of mind especially when flying FPV:slight_smile:

Okay this is awesome. Buzzer for the scisky! @Kamsleo69 thanks for pointing me in the right direction to this thread.

Just curious… are you powering your buzzer and your fpv gear via the scisky? It is the 5v buzzer 5 pack that I should purchase from rmrc?

no problem @Latraxstar720

no, i solder to the Vin via a pololu first for the fpv, and yes, the buzzer gets power from the pin on the chip.

yes, and i should have bought two packs, its suprising how fast they go!

Okay, thank you for the Advice. I will definitely order 2 packs. do they burn out over time or something? Also, what type of fpv gear do you have soldered to your scisky via 5v pololu?

Use silicone jacketed wire for the connection to the cpu pin, it will make your life easier. The insulation won’t melt off as you are trying to connect it as seen in the above photo.