Micro Buzzer signal lost low voltage alarm implementation discussion Ideas

I like the gift card idea. Our issue is how do we turn it on? We are running a serial connection out of the receiver so there is no way to output voltage from it. Our best option is to send voltage out of one of the Arduino chip pins. Are there any pins broken out or are we going to have to do the fine soldering like the KV OSD mode. I said in another thread that I wish there was a buzzer output in the aliens.

@quad_damage nice idea worth looking into thanks :smiley:

Found a musical card!

The speaker weighs about 4 grams according to my scales. The circuit board weighs about 5 grams.

Probably better with a standard buzzer, this weighs about 3 grams including all the wiring and connector:

Maybe the speaker/buzzer of a fire detector could be an interesting option - those can be pretty damn loud :wink:

Here is a link to some micro smd buzzers and the data says .4G weight and operating voltage of between 1 to 25v and many sizes and voltage ranges. Check it out.
http://www.microbuzzer.com/smd-piezo-buzzer

Crap. We needed this link in another thread. I went and bought bigger buzzers yesterday not knowing the smd ones existed. Whoops!

Me too, these. Double whopps :smiley:

Sorry I should have piped up sooner. I had researched these a while back for LOS quads. When I moved into the FPV i didn’t see the need as I have a DVR that can replay footage and help me locate a downed quad. For LOS I would for sure use one of these as I have spent many hours looking for a LOS that I saw where it went down and was stepping all over it before finally finding it the 3rd time I went out to look, the two prior times I spent about 3 hours looking!

The only question is how audible they are at 75db. I am not sure where that falls in the sound category as far as loudness goes.

I was going to order one to find out how loud they are but it doesnt look like you can order them from this website. Kinda confused. But now that I know that smd buzzers exist Im gonna google around and see what i find.

Samples here @Complacent1

Do not only check the piezo ones - [these electro-magnetic ones][1] look also nice! Especially regarding the output performance and size.
[1]: http://www.microbuzzer.com/smd-electro-magnetic-buzzer

Just received one of those Tile clones from Banggood called nut2.
Easy to open for battery replacement.
Weight is 8.1g
Without outer case it’s 5g (cr2032 battery included)
Maybe it’s possible to strip it down even more and use the plain pcb and run it from flight battery. Don’t know if it can handle more than 3v.

Further testing will be done sometime.

Good work @chrisdo

Since I’m not that experienced with electronics can anyone give me advice how to check/ measure if the nut pcb can handle more then 3v?
Is there a safe way to check this?
Own a digital multimeter.
For sure I just can test it by soldering a connector and plug in a 1s lipo, but I don’t wanna destroy this thing 'cause have only one on hand.
Had enough magic smoke encounters with my 2 fucked up Sciskys (which hopefully seems to be cured with @las 's generous help and soldering skills).

Maybe I should open a seperate topic/thread for this question.

Hi :smiley:
There is no obvious way other than reading some datasheets and reverse engineering the thing (at least partially) .
I guess it’s powered by a 3V CR2032 or something similar? I don’t want to recommend it… but 3.3V should be fine (maybe)… grab it from the SciSky… Measure the current consumption of the buzzer device running on battery first - if it doesn’t draw too much current, the SciSky should be able to handle it. Safest option would be a separate 3/3.3V regulator powered directly from the lipo or even a separate battery. Why not just use the thing with a coin cell battery? There should be lighter options than the stock battery.

Just ordered these for some LEDs

ebay Coin Cell Battery Holder with on/off switch I don’t recommend from Sparkfun site direct because $9+ shipping way too expensive!

ebay Battery

@chrisdo

Where do you buy these? I just checked mouser and digikey for this part number. No dice. TE-HPS12B-H3

I’d like to know as well. I just got the buzzers you linked in this thread and they are too big.

Sorry I posted a link that was a rabbit hole. I looked for that as well and the specific manufacturer is in China, Tianer Technology Co but there are no links to where you can purchase. As far as I can see all these should be right in the same specs here:

https://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/audio-products/buzzers/720967?k=smd+buzzer&pv569=495&FV=fff4000b%2Cfff80047%2Cfffc01ea&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

Thanks as always for hooking us up with your parts knowledge. Going to order some of these today.