@Hammer's --> Low Drop Constant Current Driver for LED Rigs

So, I busted out the ‘fire stick’ and gave this awesome mod a shot this morning.
After digging around for bit to find the posts where this was discussed I decided that this setup is too good to buried in another thread and created a new topic for it here. I also modified my original diagram to include the 150Ω resistor required for any red LED’s used in the setup to clear that up.
The link for the BCR401W’s are here.

I used my ‘Pinchers of Power’ to hold the BCR401W’s together while I bridged the pins…
Look momma… I did it! This will be cleaned up a quite a bit for the final harness
Thanks @Hammer for sharing this with everybody! Original posts in other thread can be found here for more info!

7 Likes

Thanks so much for organizing this and thanks to @Hammer for the great ideas!

1 Like

Thanks for doing this Jesse. I was thinking about starting a thread regarding the LDCCD but have been preoccupied with other things in the last few days. I’m hoping I can make a little tutorial video with some tips to make the process easier for those who want to give it a try.

Great job on your little harness by the way!

1 Like

No problem @Hammer, it was my pleasure. Thanks for the compliment even though mine is no where near as clean looking as yours. @madman1412 sent me out a handful of these back in July and I had been sitting on them since. I almost forgot all about them until the subject was brought up here recently.
I hope your recover is swift and we’ll see some more of your builds real soon!

2 Likes

Very Cool @Jtwalkz those pinchers of power look handy especially on those tiny controllers.

I am very glad that @Hammer’s worked can be shared here and getting the respect that it deserves. Wish I had time to mess with other things but you all know what I have been obsessed with. Had to switch priorities when the AlienWii went away but I have some of the BCR401W sitting here for nearly half a year or more and wanted to get into building some of these but dropped everything over what I felt was of utmost importance. Sorry John, I know I made a promise a while back and I am a man of my word but I also was desperate to make something else happen. Great work on that @Jtwalkz! Specifically with that burn stick there! haha You will be sooooo happy to have the real deal and a hot air buddy! You will kick yourself for not making that gift offering trade to the wife a long time ago! :wink:

Haven’t you binned that fire starter yet Jesse

Also thanks for sharing @Hammer ,s excellent idea here

After being linked to this thread it has got me thinking I really wanna do this… Burning up LEDs will be a thing of the past. Is this what I need? I have never bought from this type of micro electronics online store and there are wayyyyyyyy too many options lol

BCR401W LDCCD

150Ω Resistor

LEDs From Mouser

LEDs from Amazon

Oops forgot the wire Solderable Magnet Wire

Also I’m not crazy right? The harnesses I have seen for the LED have just bare wire like with no insulation? I guess there isn’t enough current to mess anything up once its gone through the driver? Is there anyway to make these blink like navigation lights, a small board or LED’s that blink natively or is there a lot more to it than I can imagine?

The BCR401W is the correct link. This is the 150Ω Resistor I use but you only need to use the resistor if you’re powering Red LED’s.

I would suggest searching eBay for 3mm LED’s, you will find a large selection there.

I use magnet wire which is used to wind motors and has an enamel coating to provide insulation. It is important to search for “Solderable” magnet wire when purchasing as the enamel coating can be easily removed by dipping the wire into a pool of molten solder.

1 Like

Nice thanks @Hammer I saw that image and at first thought no way… after looking at the images of the harness like 100 times, it appears doable (new soldering tip on its way too) I just edited the link on my post to reduce confusion.

Also you are correct eBay is a gold mine for LEDs

Looked on Amazon too

I also see there are some vendors selling blinking LED both RGB and solid colors Are these the a solution for blinking navigation type lights?

[quote=“bustaphoto, post:10, topic:1124, full:true”]I also see there are some vendors selling blinking LED both RGB and solid colors Are these the a solution for blinking navigation type lights?
[/quote]If you want blinking lights that’s what I’d go with. Adding a flasher circuit to the LDCCD would weigh ten times more than the driver itself…kind of defeats the purpose. :slight_smile:

1 Like

They make blinking leds. I bought a bunch of 3mm red ones. They work well.

@Hammer - With that driver set up, can you use a higher wattage resistor? I know they are bigger, but there is no way I would be able to solder that little deer tick you have on your finger. Was thinking about a 1/8 watt is probably the smallest I’d handle.

1 Like

[quote=“bubbak, post:12, topic:1124, full:true”]@Hammer - With that driver set up, can you use a higher wattage resistor? I know they are bigger, but there is no way I would be able to solder that little deer tick you have on your finger. Was thinking about a 1/8 watt is probably the smallest I’d handle.
[/quote]
A resistor is a resistor so I’d say give it a shot…should work fine.

1 Like

Beat me to it John :wink: I was gonna say a standard through hole resistor will work just adds more weight and the “Water Clear” 3mm are best which @hammer illuminated me on.

1 Like

Forgot about suggesting the “Water Clear” specification for 3mm LED’s @madman1412 …I’m just so used to purchasing only water clear I didn’t think to mention that, thanks Adam!

2 Likes

Awesome thread, thanks for sharing. I’ll certainly be looking at building some of these up when I eventually upgrade from Hubsan boards.

I have been a big fan of the wide angle(120 degree) variety with the flat tops, they spread the light out quite nicely.

1 Like

Hi @Hammer, I finally managed to order all the components at a reasonable price here in Singapore. Digikey and Mouser charge way too much to ship an order to Asia. From looking at your photo, I’m not very sure how to stack the drivers, which ends are +ve and -ve and which ends are soldered onto which wires. Need a little help. Thanks!

1 Like

Turn your picture 90°to the right and that will match it to the above diagram. Just stack them so all the legs match.

2 Likes

Thanks @Jtwalkz. I totally missed that but it’s all crystal clear now!

2 Likes

Blinky LEDs like this, but only one LED on each arm I think would be so cool, I think this is a similar build to what we are doing here but maybe just a big resistor?