First DVR flights

I finally got some goggles and can record DVR footage, here is one of the first flights with my new goggles.

on a side note, I feel like I can barely fly the drone in real life but I feel like I can rip it in rotor rush. is it just time to put aside the sim and really focus on flying in the real world?

I think its some of the set up too that trips me up in real life, the drone just doesn’t feel as crisp as it does in the sim. or as crisp as an inductrix for that matter.

thoughts?

https://youtu.be/tZHrJTuLoUw

RL will certainly be different but with practice you will loosen up and fly like a pro.

Tuning pids and rates will help out and you can try getting them set so that it feels close to the sim settings.

I’m running project mockingbird on 3.5. I’m really not sure how to go about tuning things on a whoop. how translatable are videos for pid tuning on 5in quads? and then rates in angle mode is really just the max angle setting right?

Flying a simulator is good for training your fingers to go in the directions they need to go, it is good for learning how to lock in timing for flips and rolls, it can give you a general idea of how different rates can feel, it can help with learning how to center a target (gate or flag or something) and it can help with learning how to cross coordinate yaw/roll for smoother tricks, etc… It can also save a buttload of money by spending time on the computer and not crashing in real life lol

A whoop flies much differently from a 5"… in fact, all model sizes fly different from a 5", no matter what “the youtuber” says hehe ! :smiley: So what I am saying here is each craft will have its own flight feel and tuning needs… PIDs may not translate over from model to model because there are many physical differences in between different build types… The ability to adapt to different flight characteristics is a good one in this hobby. With enough time on the sticks you will improve more and more each day. There is a saying “if you aren’t crashing, you aren’t learning”…

Rates mainly deal with stick feel and how fast your quad spins in degrees/second… Usually the higher the rates, the more sensitive the stick becomes, and the lower the rates will equate to a less sensitive stick… I fly at about 800ish degrees ,( RC rate 1.2 , super expo is set to .71… )

For brushed models, too high of rates will decrease the performance of the craft (the craft can’t physically keep up with higher rates without getting confused IMO.) Personally, i feel like anything above 960 may be too much rates for a brushed model…

The max angle setting is in relation to how far your quad is allowed to “tilt” before the angle limiter kicks in and prevents you from tilting any further… the purpose of angle mode (self leveling) is to give you basic flight controls, but won’t allow you to flip or roll any further than the set max angle degree… if you increase the degree of the max angle, you will be given more permission to tilt further and further…

First off I just want to say how much I appreciate the thorough explanation. I do get that the PID for each quad would be different and I dont want to just copy JBs pids from his quads but there are videos about the process of finding the appropriate pids. Something about setting all the values to zero and starting with P term and whatnot. As long as I dont use one that requires flips then that process should also work for a whoop right?

As for rates, I currently dont fly acro on the whoop; maybe one day but my understanding is that racers fly angle still. not that I necessarily plan today to compete but I’ve never been a basher in RC sports. I like the absolute of lab times as something to work towards. I do feel like this sport could be the sport to let me bridge more into the art of life.

That being said, rate wise in betaflight is slightly confusing, I get the rates tab and the rotational degrees per second, I’m just not clear on if that is the determining factor on stick feel in angle mode. Angle limit sets your full scale stick deflection therefore if I want more stick travel to get to say 10 degrees forward angle I lower my max angle limit. Then there is angle strength. I dont even begin to understand how that actually works, conceptually you get to the set angle faster but I’m just not sure about that one yet.

on another note, I also like that you mentioned “center a target” this is something i’m still struggling with even in the sim. are there videos that talk about this? any help here would be appreciated also.

Thanks

If angle strength has the same effect as rates, I wish it would update the graph or something.

I swore to the same thing. I couldn’t shoot more than a gate of two to save my life in acro on a sim but put me into angle and I was racking up the numbers I could hit. Then with the recent updates to Betaflight gave me access to acro trainer (angle limits like angle but without the auto level) and after a month or so on that I can shoot narrow spots, skim and fly close to the ground under things. I just went full acro and I can almost do everything I could in acro trainer.

I would still do angle if I flew indoors but I have a small house, so it’s pointless.I tried flying in angle on maiden flights of my HawkR and Whoop and found it hard to do now.

Right now, I only have the Whoop and only fly indoors. I want to get a diatone GT90R next. I have a really nice playground one lot over from my house that no kids use ever.

I would only tune a brushless model in that manner to really dial in a custom tune for the brushless craft… Usually with brushed quads you can get away with plugging in some fairly high numbers on P and D and itll fly alright… or like project mockingbird would have a good starting point in PIDs I’m sure.

I’m not really too familiar with how settings apply in angle mode, I wish i could provide more information there. I’d say rates will really make a huge noticeable difference in acro or horizon mode, when flips and rolls are allowed… stick sensitivity will be more noticeable in those modes as well.

As far as centering a gate goes practice in the simulator, you have to really give yourself the space to line up and fly straight into the gate. You want to go in smoothly, without fidgeting too much on the sticks… and for flags, I recommend to practice tight 180s around them, applying a mix of yaw and roll together to really curve around the flag smoothly.