Custom Micro Carbon H Build Videos!

Hey guys, first post here. Doubt it, but you may have seen my YouTube channel ( The RCAddict)

I recently got some micro motors and the Carbon H (135mm) frame from here, and got other things, to make a full out micro FPV quad to fly indoors during the cold months here in the US. Here is my unboxing video, showing all of the parts I used, and links to find them.

Next, here is my build video, showing how to put everything together. I would advise making the wires from the board thicker, as well as using the plastic hardware.

I do have a question though. I have been losing some motors. Luckily Benedikt is awesome and sent me some spares. I am using the Hubsan X4 clar props, not a huge fan. I am about to swap to JJRC JJ-1000 props. At first I just put the props on as is, and lost a motor due to the bottom cap popping out. After that I used tweezers to lengthen the hub hole, so the props would fit all of the way down to the motor can so they wouldn’t blow out, but I still low two more :frowning: Seems like these motors are pretty fragile? Anyone have something to share about this? Thanks, and hope my videos help someone :smiley:

1 Like

Check out this link. Also use something to protect the bottom of the motors. Shrink tube, thread protectors, and 3D printed feet are the most popular. Check out the pictures in the eye candy category and I’m sure you’ll see all the different ways we protect our motor caps. Welcome and thanks for sharing the videos!
http://community.micro-motor-warehouse.com/t/protect-your-micro-motors/608

I have watched that video, and have seen it before, but watch it again :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I will try making the hubs deeper with a blown motor this time :slight_smile: Seems like a better solution that using tweeers that get larger, and don’t really fit, making my props loose. Heat shrink is a great idea! I will try that! Thanks :stuck_out_tongue: I will be posting a “maiden fight” as well as my review, and DVR footage once I get one, on my channel "soon. Been posting tons of videos there recently, and am super busy to keep up with a video a day. https://www.youtube.com/c/thercaddict/

1 Like

I’ve tried stretching the prop holes with a blown motor but get best results with a 0.95mm drill bit.

Ok, thanks man :slight_smile: I will try that as well, to see which fits the best, and how far the prop goes down. I guess it doesn’t really matter if you drill all of the way through, as it is only holding by friction?

Yeah, I tend to go all the way through just to be sure. Never had a prop fly off with the 0.95 drill bit. The shaft is 1mm so we have tha 0.05mm leeway for a little friction action.

Ok, not sure if I have a bit that specific size, as mine are mostly Imperial. 1mm bit wouldn’t work?

I just put heatshrink on the bottoms, and it is a great little fix! Makes it a little taller, protects wires even more, and hopefully hold the cap tighter. Next is to drill the props, but I have too much homework to do that tonight, ugh.

I find shrink tubing to be the most protective out of all the choices. Having said that I use thread protectors most of the time for ease of use.

1 Like

Thread protectors? I always glue the bottom of the motors, to protect the wires from coming off. So now between that, the heat shrink landing gear and sqeezer, and the “safe” props, I should be good :stuck_out_tongue:

Be careful glueing the bottoms of the motors. There are little holes on the bottom of most brushed motors and just inside there are the brushes. If you squeeze glue in there you might seize the motor.

I use glue when I have to mount motors high and flush. Works fine to protect the wires but you could still pop the cap.

Hmm, I don’t think there are any holes on mine (CL-8020-15), but I never really checked. I have also never had any problem with that ether, but will be on the lookout. The glue it not for the cap, but rather simply for the wires.

1 Like

Glue works. Heat shrink or screw caps are just nicer.
All our 0820 motors have holes in the bottom.
Most other 0820 motors have also holes in the top.

One might think they are cooling holes, but thats not true.
They are intended for mounting. The original application for these types of motors was in small appliances of all sorts, and they were mounting by clamping them from top and bottom with little pins.

We removed the holes out of the standard housing, because they let debris enter. That was relatively easy, because it just mean skipping a production step.
My goal is to also remove the holes out of the bottom cap, but that takes more effort, because it requires a different mould. We are not (yet) buying/selling enough motors to make that a worthwhile investment.

Welcome @TheRCAddict,
Im glad you joined the micro party.
Nice videos, Im sure that will help new people to get their build done!
I “fixed” your post to embed the videos.
If you put a link into a separate line, the forum will try to resolve and embed the content. If you add a link in the text flow, it it just a link.

1 Like

Yep, I glued the wires in place, and then used the heat shrink for the landing feet and protect caps more. I saw the holes now, never had any problem with glue in there though.

Thanks for making the links embed =D I was wondering about that :smiley:

I also use the .95mm specifically for the standard hubsans where you have to drill out through the nose of the hub to get them to seat properly.

Ok. I used a blown motor shaft, and have not had any problems since =D

1 Like