Micro Motor Community

Charger Question/Opinion request

I have a number of 3.8v lipos that I picked up with a cheap multi-charger and I am looking to upgrade to a better charger and came across this;

6 In 1 3.8V 1S Lipo LiHv Battery Charger Board

Does anyone have any experience with that charger?

I do have a balance charger and was looking at this as well;

Battery Charging Board XT60 Plug

Thoughts?

If you already have a good balance charger, I would go with the second option to make sure I dont overcharge my 1S lipos and do that you can easily see what voltage they are at when charging. Just make sure that your balance charger has a 1S setting and will let you charge when there is no balance lead plugged in because you don’t need a balance lead for 1S lipos.

1 Like

Well, I’m beginning to think the charger I have isn’t so good. Got AN “Imax B6 MINI” and BG didn’t send any cable for it. I had to make my own 12v power plug for it but finding everything that comes with a xt60 plug is going to require a female to female cable, which I will likely need to make, so I’m pretty much stuck with that type of charger.

IHMO the most important option is a variable current charger.
You BG stuff has no option to change charge rate. Without, your batteries will die a lot faster.

a) simple charger, cheap, but have to buy batteries more often
b) expensive charger, save on batteries…

i went for option b.

https://www.amazon.com/HTRC-Quattro-Battery-Charger-Connector/dp/B076HNGDNC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524140815&sr=8-1&keywords=HTRC+AC+DC+4x1s+24+Watt

1 Like

Not going to give in to the impulse to go with what I have and buy the components to get the micro going…soooo hard!!

Getting the recommended charger from Amazon. Not wanting a repeat of getting the same thing from BG and not get everything intended.

Didn’t say :rage: 40 bucks were my first choice. :wink:

But after killing some 50 bucks worth of batteries it was my last choice. Haven’t killed another battery then. Instead, i do have a pile of unused batteries.:rofl:

And i obey 2 rules strictly now:

• never charge at a rate greater then 1C
  • never discharge below 3.2V (even in flight)
2 Likes

Do you have a battery bunker set up for your charging? I’d imagine using a charging bag would not work well with it.

If you budget will do, go for safety measures like at least a bag or so.

I have an old fireproof lock box sitting on a slab of granite with granite back and sides. A perk of having a source for free granite scraps.

@SinisterLefty Fireproof lock box on granite slab is perfect!

For the small 1S LiPo, I use a metal tray that is large enough to hold both charger and LiPos. Another thing I’ve seen people use is a glass or ceramic baking pan.

Two other things to consider: (1) Keep any combustibles at a distance, e.g. charge in your garage, or at least kitchen or (dry) bathroom. (2) I also recommend getting a small (spray can size) fire extinguisher from the hardware store. I picked up a bunch of First Alert Tundra fire extinguisher sprays at Home Depot ($25 for 2x on Amazon). They are not certified for places where a fire extinguisher is required by law. However, they work extremely well for fires small and large. I have several around the house, and one in my car as well.

For storage of charged LiPos (100 percent or storage charge), I use LiPo bags for smaller packs and metal ammunition boxes for larger packs. I either leave them ajar or remove the seal in order to prevent pressure buildup in case of fire.

1 Like

I was going to ask about storage. I have an ammo can as well, so I’m set there.

So I was reading comments for the fire extinguisher spray on Amazon. Sounds like they may not work for a LiPo fire.

Never heard of “Class D copper agent.” I will have to look into it.

This does remind me that some have recommended simply keeping a bucket of sand nearby. In case of fire, dump sand on the burning LiPo. I’ve seen YouTube videos of this working successfully.

1 Like

Sand wouldn’t be a bad idea except that it would require me to open the box. I’ll just let it burn itself out.

How do you ensure the discharge level in flight?

And can that charger discharge as well?

You need telemetry if your TX supports that or OSD if you are flying FOV. Other than that there really is no way to know for sure.

When charging my whoop batteries, I just used my main charger (1S to 6S) and made my own 1S charging board.

It let me regulate current and charge, discharge, and storage charge for less than $10 worth of components.

1 Like

I like this 1s charging cable - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0788M3Y1Z

A nearby fire extinguisher might be used to make sure the fire doesn’t spread. Other pages I’ve read just say to let the battery burn itself out. If I ever catch mine burning in their fireproof containers, I might just spray around the container just in case :slight_smile:

1 Like

I highly recommend co2. It’s not as good for material fires (wood table, etc) but no cleanup is wonderful.

Sand is about your only option for lipo fires that doesn’t cost a ton. Some people have charging boxes where the top is a thin sheet of paper holding up a bunch of sand. Any fire in the box burns the paper and drops the sand automatically. Combine that with a flammable-string based dead-man’s switch (something from the world of 3d printers, which aren’t any more trustworthy than lipos) to turn the power to the charger off and you’re pretty well set.

One thing that is often glossed over is that burning lipos create fumes that you really, really, really don’t want to breathe. Burning itself out is all well and good, but walking into a cloud of death in your garage isn’t much better than the garage burning down.

3 Likes

I have seen some pretty elaborate set-ups with cinder blocks where they would have bags of sand over the holes in case of fires.

I was actually thinking of building something similar since I just got a bunch of sandbags for free.