Here’s another journal, a bit tidier than my previous (build) journal. I hope it will be a more concise version of this original thread by HappyHarry:
First I stripped the new 4-in-1 module of pins, clearing the via holes with the “tap” method of knocking the board on the edge of my table after softening the solder.
This is after removing the original transmitter module. I tinned the pads and alcohol swabbed the entire area.
I stripped and tinned the wires I was going to use. Digikey was, once again my friend, getting me 30AWG stranded wires from Adafruit in multiple colors. I also got to know how bitchin’ my Irwin Vise-Grip wire strippers are.
Laid in the first set of wires, according to this more straightforward diagram:
Flipped the board over and soldered the first set of wires. This pic is after the second set, with three strands; one for a different transmitter… the fourth was built in, connected by the first set of wires (I think).
Next, the Big Deal, the reason I’d been so apprehensive of this mod. In order to enable one of the four modules, you have to solder directly to pin 50 of the main chip. This is a pic of me isolating that pin using Kapton tape, per technique described by Silpstream.
NOTE: A reason I did this mod first was because the additional mods (here and here) that I’m keen on doing require an upgraded CPU with more memory, per another recipe by Silpstream. Given the fact that I’d likely remove this CPU, I figured I’d use it as my trial run for soldering directly to a pin. The other mods will require this pin, and two others, to be soldered to directly.
Here’s the result after all the soldered wires. After this, my green wire connected to the chip came undone. It took four more tries to get it nice and clean.
…and a broader view of the project thus far.
Next is attaching the upgraded antenna. This 4-in-1 mod include a range mod that previously was a separate project. The pigtail and dipole were both from the original how-to by HappyHarry (here).
I used my finger to measure how deep the RP-SMA Female socket went into the original antenna housing.
Then, one of my favorite tools, this hobby saw, made quick work of the housing.
I installed the pigtail into the housing…
… then attached the antenna to the 4-in-1 module, snaked it inside the case, then up into the housing.
Here’s the case reassembled with bootup screen. This is showing a now out-of-date version of DeviationTx, the latest full release, v5.0.0.
The hardware’s done. I’ve got to finish the software side of things next.