Are brushed motors waterproof?

The things I have found seem to be a bit vague on the question of brushed motors being waterproof-- so I ask MMC this: Are they waterproof? Not just able to be submerged under water, but can brushed motors run under water without damaging themselves and working well? Specifically 6-8mm motors. Thanks in advance!

Fresh water they should be fine at least for a while, it’s fairly low voltage and fresh water doesn’t conduct very well. You’ll lose some efficiency, but that’s probably all.

Brackish and salt water conducts electricity quite well and will quickly kill things.

1 Like

Thanks! That answered my question perfectly.

You can always try corrosive X. Here’s a video link of it working.

When i first started flying electric (on wings) all we had was brushed motors and we used to break in the brushes by running them under water when new. The water was supposed to carry away all the carbon dust from the new brushes.

May want to periodically add a little oil after wet runs.

Regarding carbon dust - I have few sets of cheap 716 brushed 17500kv motors and on few I pop bottom caps and I noticed black dust around brushes… I assumed it is some kind of lubricant to reduce friction - but it might be carbon dust that need to be removed?

I dont know about our little whoop motors. I just fly them till they won’t go. I was referring to rather ancient history of what used to be called 400, 500, and 600 sized motors. They were heavy for their power and didn’t last very long but were relatively expensive considering they were just stamped out metal.

I only knew from that experience that water (fresh, not salt) wouldn’t hurt them.

Hangarkat

My 716 whoop spent a few moments in the dogs water bowl and lots of puddles. No water proofing of electronics. Vtx is slowly loosing distance but not bad that was 6 months ago. Everything still going strong. Oh I did put the electronics in a hot air chamber for 2 hours.