5" vs micros

I’m still flying only brushed micros. Right now i don’t have a big budget and i’m not in a rush, so i’m taking my time to research and find out what kind of brushless quad is the right one for me.
I found these videos from Kabab FPV talking about micro brushless models,

He’s very clear and says that he doesn’t like micros, mostly because the 5" class gives you a level of control that sub 5" quads don’t have. THerefore his reccomendation to a begginer is to never invest money in a sub 5" quadcopter, and always build your own quads. Kabab’s not the first one i hear similar comments and reccomendations. Mr. Steele has a very similar video saying the same.

I don’t question their opinions, and i’m sure they’re right when they claim that 5" quads will have a much better performance than smaller quadcopters… But i think the first thing that a begginer should do is to have fun. Also i’m sure that the best way to learn the hobby is to build yourself, but i don’t think either that’s the first thing a begginer should do. A begginer should have lots of fun with its first quad, and it doesn’t matter if it’s a brushed, brushless, toy or hobby grade, bnf, rtf… What i don’t think a begginer should do is to get frustrated because his first build doesn’t work.

That said, both 5" class and micro class have their own benefits. Micros may not have great flight characteristics and may be more difficult to repair or build, but they’re light and small, they require smaller and cheaper lipos, they’re not as dangerous as bigger quads (at least in people’s perception), so it may be easier to find places to fly them…

It’ll be nice to know what you think about this topic

I like micros way more than 5". They’re just as capable as bigger quads, and are way safer. I like the fact that they’re less intimidating so I can fly them without disturbing people. Plus I can fly them in my backyard etc. ; I can’t do that with my bigger quad. I think brushed are fun for indoor, but for outside I feel brushless is best. Both are fun, but I’m more sided to brushless. Anyways… micros RULE!

I just watched the videos, here’s what I think… I think KABAB has a good point with the fact that micros dip on throttle. I just hate how he has such a negative view. I guess everyone has their own opinion. Just look at the first few seconds of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCuTqgySkpY&feature=youtu.be My “purr110” has tons of punch. Like how can you not get enough of this?

Impressive punch!! I agree, 5" class may be the best, but that doesn’t mean than the rest of quadcopters are not to be recommended. A little bit of a negative view, yeah. Not ideal for a begginer to be contaminated with opinions so absolute.

Right now, for me, having a 5" quad would mean that i can fly it once a week, if i’m lucky. With micros i can fly almost every day

Kabab FPV tends to be quite opinionated, that seems to be his thing. I would agree that it is easier to start with 5" as they are more stable,predictable and easier to work on however there are just so many more flying opportunities available with a micro which is so important when you are time poor with family etc.

I could not have built my 2 inch without having done a 5 inch first, no way.

I was watching these videos yesterday and found it very interesting because I’ve finally flown my 5" again yesterday. I say finally, because I flew it a lot for the first week I got it, but it’s been collecting dust over the past 2 months…

These videos kinda hurt my micro heart :joy:, maybe it’s a matter of opinion but I really don’t understand… I find my micros, especially my 3 inch to fly way better. Better T:W, more agile, more floaty, not even starting about crash resistance. The only thing 5" has is the Gopro, and a lot more weight. To each his own, if he likes 5" more I’m OK with that. But I still think it’s better to learn with a micro for the following reasons:

-Not as dangerous (I’ve hit myself a couple of times learning FPV)
-More crashproof (at least the 3" is nearly indestructible, only quad I’ve had for a year without breaking anything)
-Because of above points, you can fly more = more stick time
-Less expensive
-More fun, because of the above points you can take more risks and go crazy

Also interesting is the fact that everything is getting smaller, look at runcam split. VTX03’s, 20x20 FC’s, XM+ receiver. Quads went from 280 to 250 to 200, It is obvious they will become smaller. Why run a heavy big screaming 5" if we can eventually get 4K 60 fps on a micro. Future is looking small, and I like it! :wink:

Is that Kabab? I wouldn’t normally be so narky but I’d take his opinion with a massive pinch of salt. His views are from a position of someone who can easily afford to purchase higher priced items regularly and looks down on brands which are more reasonably priced.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with starting off with micros especially for beginners, and as you said, the point is to have fun. I’m currently building my second micro brushless after building a few micro brushed. Being a beginner, I’d be massively concerned about starting out with a 5 inch and spending all my time worrying if I’m going to crash and repair expensive parts, you’d always have that in the back of your mind. But with micros, parts are cheaper etc. although a bit more fiddly to put together, but IMO you push yourself more.

At the end of the day it’s all about fun.

And I’m not a fan of Kabab :smiley:

In my opinion, there are only 2 differences: power/weight ratio and inertia.

Power/weight can be achieved to the same results in both categories: it’s just a matter of components sizing.

Inertia is a totally different thing: throwing in the air a brick is different than throwing a cigarette pack. A brick is more slow and fluid in movements than a light thing. Obviously I’m referring as brick=5" an cigarette=2".

When I fly my TinyWhoop in an open area I feel like it can plane over the air with no effort, like a bird over a mountain. Bigger quads, instead can fly only using motor power and weight inertia.

I went from brushed micros to a few smaller brushless quads, then to a 5" racer, then back to a few smaller micros. It depends on your flying style and location… I’ve been doing a lot more LOS since getting into BL and the bigger quad, although the 5" is a lot faster, its easier to see and follow in the air. I think flying my 5" LOS has really helped my flying. I also have a good spot out my back door to fly all my stuff. If I had to get in the car and drive somewhere to fly my 5", it probably wouldn’t get near as much fly time. I probably enjoy my 120mm frame the most as a fun, easy to fly rocket. With the 4-1 esc, building a smaller quad is fairly clean and easy.

I had to learn to solder in micro fc boards. Not the easiest thing to do as a total beginner in electronics. I fried some fcs trying, but i did it. There’s a few more components to solder in a brushless model, true, but not a big difference. It is possible, and with the help of internet, almost easy

Totally agree in the possibilities of a micro over a 5"

Maybe he never flew a good and well tuned micro with recent motors?
I have never flown anything larger than a 148mm quad with 1707 motors and 3.5" props - so I certainly lack the data to compare in the first place.
Nevertheless, if you have motors of the same quality as on the bigger machines and a good tune, a micro can deliver more than surprising performance.

If your goal is to race or fly semi-competitively and you would like to achieve competency in as efficient a manner as possible, then I agree with his conclusions.

I’ve built/flown a ton of different micros. From whoop to 6", from 1S to 5S. I can say that my ultralight 5" builds are the best performing, most well controlled of any of my quads.

But a 5" is no good if you can’t afford it or have nowhere to fly it. My 2" and smaller builds are definitely cheaper and they open up so many additional places to fly. And my 3" and 4" builds are more nimble, which rewards a different style of flying.

There are a great many factors to consider when evaluating “best quad”. When you see videos like Kebab’s don’t read too much into them. And understand that he’s likely working with different assumptions/starting conditions than you.

My knowledge is limited to brushed but there’s a few things i can extrapolate. The difference between a tiny whoop and a 65mm prop build can teach you some things. It’s not just about size, but proportions. I guess that a 5" should be more capable to fight the wind, but that’s it. The gopro thing is not so important for me. Today there are some alternatives and maybe next year gopro for fpv will be obsolete

I would like to try a 3" model. Still very small, but they seem to have lots of possibilities

I feel like my 3" flies a bit more like a 5" compared to a 2". I’d think about one for your next build! They’re a bit harder to fly in tight spaces

Okay, watched both videos… phew. I partially agree with his recommendation, but only to the part that you shouldn’t get any RTF. :wink: Build you damn first quad yourself and you will learn all the things you need to fix it.
Other than that, fly whatever you want. Micros are different in flight characteristics and everything what @Denovich said. Oh - and the “wow-effect” with overpowered micros is massive in case you have people watching.
I’ve only flown micros and I’m happy with it. They have their benefits (I can throw four 2" machines in a small box, go and fly!).

The “dipping” might just be a BF/software issue, since BF is probably more tested on bigger configurations. Maybe we need to do something on the software side to make micros fly better? If yes, what?

Another thing I noticed: I see no good props on any of his micros, maybe he should come here and ask for some recommendations. :smiley:

Not only kabab. I’ve heard the same from mr steele. I can’t think of any youtube pro fpv pilot using less than 5". They need a big quad to lift a gopro, but now with the runcam swift and other alternatives to come in a near future, things might change. The micro fever is here and i think it will last, and it will push the technology even more

The one thing that has to be fixed is the dip on throttle. It’s a bit annoying to be honest. I think it’s caused by ESC quality :confused:

Yeah, i guess 3" is somewhere in between mini and micro, but it’s ok for me. I need some speed, for tight spaces i can still fly my brushed models. I’ll make a list of components for a 3" build and compare prices to some bnf 3" that i saw in youtube.

I guess 3" should use 3s lipos, doesn’t it? Maybe 4s would be too much?

That’s one of kabab’s main issues with sub 5"

Yeah 2s-4s. :smile: IT’S FAST!