3d printers.. Which one do you use?

What printer do you use? Is it your first? Are there any to avoid? Is there one you are looking at for your next?

Basically looking to buy my first 3d printer. I’ve been looking at the Monoprice 113860 Maker Select 3D Printer v2 with Large Heated 8" x 8" x 7" Build Plate…

Any help would be great. I wanna stsrt printing my own boss frames amongst other things

Also looking at the Qidi printers. Like the tech 1 or the xsmart. They are more expensive. Worth it? Seems like a lot of.people have had less trouble with the qidi

Still using this one here:
http://3dprintingsystems.com/products/3d-printers/up-plus-2-3d-printer/

Super happy with it, works like clockwork.
I have it for almost 4 years now and have probably put more than 100kg of filament through it.
Still on the same print head.
Replaced the CPU once, under warranty.

Its very small. Just enough to print a 120mm frame.
Looks great on my desk :wink:

Thanks Benedict for the input!

I have a HICTOP Prusa i3. It’s solid now that I’ve modded it, but I wouldn’t recommend it as a first printer.

The makerselect printers however are great first printers.

@Bobnova-- Why Not? I thought the Prusa I3 were great starter units… is it the brand you got or Prusa style in general?

I’ve got the anet A8. Prints nylon great, but I needed to get a new hotend, one w/o teflon.

And that’s because the Teflon one wouldn’t hold up right? What are the other requirements to print nylon? Trying to decide on all the specs I want out of a 3d printer

The style is great!
The build-it-from-a-million pieces routine is rough, though. I don’t recommend it for those with no motion control experience.

The HICTOP bed only has three linear bearings rather than 4, and the stock Y axis belt idler pulley mount isn’t great.
I added a fourth and printed a new mount.

Tevo Tarantula upgraded with Aluminium parts.:sunglasses::hugs:

Built my first printer, Prusa MK3 from a kit this past February. The build took about 14 hours. I had no issues with the build. I have printed ABS, TPU and PLA so far.

My first printer was a BQ Prusa I3 kit builded up from scratch. Think have it build up in around 12- 14 Hours. Have printed tons of filament in the last 5 Years and it still works without any issues. It´s an direct extruder so flexible filaments are printable without any modification to the extruder. Nice little printer with average speed and good Quality on printings.

Second one i have buyed one year ago is the Creality CR-10 with bowden extruder and a very large building plate size (300x300x400cm). Assembeld in a half hour and ready to print. Its easy as can to build this Printer. Great Quality on basic materials like PLA, PTA, TPU etc. Flexible Materials will also work but it´s more tricky without any modification to the extruder owed to the bowden principle.
Materials like ABS or Nylon can also be printed from tech specs but without a Closed building space Wharping and liability is a problem coz these materials need stable ambient temperature to avoid these problems.

I :heart: both of them and did not regret buying it.

Which printer the right one is depends on your budget, which material you wanna print, the size of printbed, and your knowledge about electrical build up´s.

I’ve been looking at the Creality CR-10 mini for about a year. Seems there’s a company distributing them in the US. They do quality control before they send them out and offer basic upgrades as a package. https://tiny-machines-3d.myshopify.com. I haven’t jumped yet but I keep thinking about it.

What i can see it is the same as his big brother except the building height.

The price is much higher at your link as you would pay at Banggood for Example. CR-10 mini @ BG
The kit is available in US Warehouse for round about 100 bucks less.
Thats a nice budget for filaments or upgrading the cooling fans that a bit loud over all. :wink:

I am very satisfied with mine CR-10 and can fairly recommend this printer.
For this prize it is one of the best on the Market with a big community on the www and tons of freely printable updates at thingivers.

Not too worried about a noisy fan but thank you for the heads up! What’s your experiexe with the printer as it is? Will it print TPU and ABS?

Personally i do not like the smell of ABS and in this case i have never used for now.
From stock you can heat up the nozzle to about 260° C and the printing bed to 90 - 95° C with some insulation on the downside of the bed i think 100° to 110° C are possible. But remember it´s a big printing bed and works on 12 V so it is limited over all and needs some time to heat up.
The real problem for abs should be the missing closed chamber not the temp of nozzle or bed i think.
TPU can printed with some upgrades to the extruder remember it´s tricky to print flexible filaments with bowdenextruder not impossible but you need a lucky hand. :wink:

I have already used on this printer the followig material without any mod:
PLA, PET/PETG, Flexifill, PC, Carbon (XT-​CF20), Nylon-CF15, Taulman Nylon Alloy 910.
Sometimes is the liability on the bed a challange but i have always found a way to stick it on the bed.

One of the reasons that I wanted to get it from tiny machines because of the identified and applied upgrades. They also do quality control and it gives me a point here in the US that can help me solve problems if I run into them. If I’m confident the machine is correct out of the box I can concentrate on learning to use it without worrying about the machine itself being the issue. For me this piece of equipment needs to be capable of many different things. I want to be able to solve problems like obsolete plastic parts in my collection of old cars. I also fly fixed-wing stuff and I’ve been looking very hard at the various ways of using it in that application. I want to be able to print whatever material is going to be most useful in the application I need it. I do wonder if it’s worth the extra money however.

Having a company in the US that you can get support from is definitely worth something!
Having a printer that a lot of people use is nice too, as you don’t have to try to design your own upgrades, other people already have.

The monoprice makerselect are like that, @notfastenuf has one, maybe he can chime in with his experience.

I built mine from a pile of parts “kit” with dubious instructions, it took around 14 hours and would have taken a good bit longer had cnc routers not been my previous career path.
The flip side is that if you do build it yourself, you know exactly how it goes together, giving you a head start if something fails.

It’s not hugely dissimilar to building a quad really, there are just a lot more parts. Same attention to little details applies.

My personal experience with the Malyan m150 i3 is not so good.
Hard to do bed leveling, the base plate is not rigid enough.
It can be fixed but better spend a little extra for a better printer.

I agree with @Bobnova, building up from scratch helps a lot if any technical problem apears.
To know how things work together makes 3d printing a lot easier especially if something goes wrong.
Personally i would do it today exactly the same way again.

@bicyclewrench
Hopefully you do not believe that you can buy a relatively cheap 3d printer that can do almost anything.
It‘s always a trial and fail challange, any filament has its peculiarities and even within the same filament type, the settings sometimes vary greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer.
The complexity, shape and size of the parts to be printed also have a decisive influence on the print settings.
3d printing isn‘t Suitable for mass at moment i think, it’s more for technical freaks.
Especially in the lower price segment, the expectation should not be set too high.
Otherwise, you may quickly be disappointed or frustrated.

Anyway, a good support in background is surley always nice and to spend some bucks more to get them is also no bad thing, but belive me ther is no printer out there that have the golden trigger to get the perfect print on any filament of your choice. :wink: